Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Thanks for the support guys!

Eyeheartquail, we have tried to hatch quail with no luck. Advice? My 13 year old would love to have them. If you are willing or able to send us a few we would love to try try again!

Did I say I love the support here, I love the support here.
hugs.gif

Tracy

Julie: I love that big duckling in the front. She's gonna be purty.

CG: Love the outdoor brooder. Hopefully someone (ehem.. hubby) will make me a little something tmw for my chicks to go outside.

it was pretty easy .
only took maybe 5 hours to make? thats with cutting the wood wire and everything.
and now i can let the babies out much more lol

Tracy-

Quail can be a pain. She and I are waitng for layers again. We're both growing out a new lot. Actually, shes waiting for eggs, and mine will be laying in another 4 weeks. We are gonna swap eggs then.

Remember that quail eggs are terrable fragile, if you can, find someone w/i an hour or two, and drive over to get the eggs, and set them that night. Fresh is good. Non shipped is good. OUt of my last 60 eggs, only 4 hatched - shipped eggs are like that with quail. Thats the most important part to success, and of course, keeping the temp just right (they bake easy they are so small) and the humidiy around 60. IF they loose too much moisture, there will be nothing but an empty egg.
Thanks for the support guys!

Eyeheartquail, we have tried to hatch quail with no luck. Advice? My 13 year old would love to have them. If you are willing or able to send us a few we would love to try try again!

Did I say I love the support here, I love the support here.
hugs.gif

Tracy

Hi all,

Today is day 29 for my rouen egg. I saw a lot of movement on day 27, but no pipping. I haven't seen a lot of movement in the last 24 hours, and I am starting to worry. If nothing happens today, what should I do?

Is it just the one egg? What is your temp and humidity at? Day 29... no movement for 24 hours... I would candle to see if alive... then maybe externally pip the shell. I would not wait until tomorrow to do this.

Just one egg.

This is my first incubation, and I wanted to test the incubator and see the whole process before I tried a big group of eggs. Temp is 98 to 99 and humidity is about 73% (wet bulb is at 90). The egg was doing great through the whole month. It looked like the air cell was shrinking the right amount, and the development looked good when I candled at days 7, 14, 21 & 24.

Is it just the one egg? What is your temp and humidity at? Day 29... no movement for 24 hours... I would candle to see if alive... then maybe externally pip the shell. I would not wait until tomorrow to do this.

At this point, upon candling you should be seeing the duck in air cell. Look for movement or at least shadows in the air cell. Also look for pulsing in membrane where it meets the aircell. If you can't see anything... then you can try the float test. To do this test, place egg in bowl of warm water. If it vibrates then the egg is alive. QUICKLY remove egg and dry off water. If the egg does nothing under water, then sadly it is not alive.

Back
Top Bottom