Three hens, one is the boss, one crows, one grew spurs

SkyAndSand

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 25, 2011
They're pecking order is clear. RI red #1 is the boss of everybody, and gets first choice of foods. RI red#2 grew spurs, stopped laying after four years of nice brown eggs, and beats up on #3 -the bantam hen who crows every day and lays perfect pink eggs.
Needless to say, I'm confused...is all well with this crew? The two RI have their own coop and yard, and I let the bantam decide whether she wants to risk going in there or staying in the rest of the yards so she mostly wanders around everywhere else, but, does venture in to their RI territory occasionally to visit with RI #1 who seems to like her. At dusk though, she goes to the other side of the house and sleeps in her own coop alone. In the morning though everybody gets uncooped and the circus begins. Do I have an unusually quirky group?

They're pecking order is clear. RI red #1 is the boss of everybody, and gets first choice of foods. RI red#2 grew spurs, stopped laying after four years of nice brown eggs, and beats up on #3 -the bantam hen who crows every day and lays perfect pink eggs.
Needless to say, I'm confused...is all well with this crew? The two RI have their own coop and yard, and I let the bantam decide whether she wants to risk going in there or staying in the rest of the yards so she mostly wanders around everywhere else, but, does venture in to their RI territory occasionally to visit with RI #1 who seems to like her. At dusk though, she goes to the other side of the house and sleeps in her own coop alone. In the morning though everybody gets uncooped and the circus begins. Do I have an unusually quirky group?
Sounds like normal yet crazy chicken activities :lau :gig

I've had hens with spurs and also had a hen that would crow. Wasn't a very good crow but she tried. I think what happens is that a hen only has one working ovary and the ovary is slowing down production as she gets old. Male hormones can take then over in older hens.
Every hen has their own personality and that's what makes keeping them so interesting. And you have a very interesting crew! ;)

Back
Top Bottom