three young cockerels free to good homes; will drive to you

Sep 20, 2017
Washington State
Three sweet, friendly and funny young cockerels, hatched 3/28/18, need good, pet-only homes. We are located in North-Central Washington State and are willing to drive them to their new families. Ideally looking for homes within 1-2 days of driving but will consider going father for the right home.

One of the little guys is a Buff Orpington/Silver Cuckoo Marans mix and the other two are Buff Orpington/Partridge Rock mixes. One of the Partridge Rock hybrids is a bit shy and we'd love to place him with the other Partridge Rock so he can have a buddy, but he should do well separately if you're willing to give him love and attention.

All three little guys were hatched by our broody and raised by her in our home, with some help from my husband and me :) They are bonded to us and to each other and love free ranging in the back yard, treats, and cuddles as they settle down to sleep.

(Apologies for cross-posting; this is also posted in the Animals in Need of Free Rehoming forum. I hope that's all right. Just trying to maximize the chances of finding good, loving homes for these little guys!)

IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG

Good luck finding homes. We gave 4 away recently. Said he was keeping them as pets. I had my doubts. Next time we are just going to eat them ourselves. After 8 weeks of care and food it really does not make sense to give them away. Ours were from are very first hatch and we got 6 cockerels out of 8. We kept two to join our flock as we did not have a Roo. We were hoping for 6 pullets and 2 cockerels. I made they mistake of letting myself get attached to them. We have 5 chicks right now. As soon as I know who is a boy he will be separated from the rest. First will be the hardest. I have hunted game and Turkey's and never had issues. Just have to remember they are not pets like the layers. Layers should not be pets for us either since some day they should end up in the stew pot. Does not make sense to bury food when we are living off the grid. We are still new to this style of living.

We gave 4 away recently. Said he was keeping them as pets. I had my doubts. Next time we are just going to eat them ourselves.

Yep, that's why we insist on delivering our little guys to their new homes ourselves. That way we can meet the new owners in person and check out their setup, and if something seems fishy, we can call off the deal and take them back home. We had a couple of situations with two roosters that we had to give away last winter where the people who wanted them sounded a bit suspicious. They insisted on coming to our house to pick them up or meeting halfway; other things didn't quite mesh either. We decided to keep looking and found good homes eventually.

Yep, that's why we insist on delivering our little guys to their new homes ourselves. That way we can meet the new owners in person and check out their setup, and if something seems fishy, we can call off the deal and take them back home. We had a couple of situations with two roosters that we had to give away last winter where the people who wanted them sounded a bit suspicious. They insisted on coming to our house to pick them up or meeting halfway; other things didn't quite mesh either. We decided to keep looking and found good homes eventually.
Good for you, not enough people spread love for cockerels. They're treated so badly and killed way too often for just being male, even if they're a nice bird.
I love my roosters, I've got two rooster flocks and they're quite fun.

Wow! They are beautiful! Especially that Silver Cuckoo Marans mix! :love
Drat if I lived about 4 or 5 states closer I would totally take them, no doubt! I actually want some roosters to put out with my layer flock but I live under my parents' roof so that isn't an option just yet.

Still looking for good homes for these beautiful and gentle young roosters! They are 2.5 months old and are almost the size of our smallest adult hens. Still super-mellow, with very minimal sparring among them. (When our currently adult flock was their age, both the pullets and the cockerels were chest-bumping and chasing each other constantly.) They prefer to independently explore around our fenced yard during the day, generally as a group, but seek us out at dusk so we can take them back to their coop and put them to bed. It's really sweet :)

Back
Top Bottom