Throwing the Gals Outside

sean_wonder

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Howdy y'all!

I know that technically you're supposed to be safe and kick the gals out of their brooder slowly starting at five weeks old, but... I can't have them inside any longer. So much noise and dust... and they definitely need more room but I've given them all I've got. So I'm throwing them out at four weeks old, because they'll have their scapulars by then I think. They've been in their coop and explored the yard (heavily supervised) ever since they were a week old and have thoroughly enjoyed their times outside since. They scratch, peck and even spread out, eating god knows what from the yard. Yesterday I watched them tear apart a snail with no questions asked. It was brutal.

Anyway, the daytime temperatures so far have been around 67 degrees on average, and the night time temperatures have been about 47 degrees. They're 3 weeks old this week so they're not going out yet, but I think they'd be safe to go outside at four weeks considering the temperature averages? Either way, they've always loved their outdoor times. I guess my question is would they need supplemental heat their first night or few outside? How do I start to wean them off the heat?

I'm going to make the assumption that you have a coop/run for them to go into once you evict them from inside. Turn off/take out their heat now. They don't need it and won't need it outside at those temps in another week.
Bahaha, yes, our coop is built and ready to go. They've explored it already. They're three weeks old though but they don't need the heat?

Bahaha, yes, our coop is built and ready to go. They've explored it already. They're three weeks old though but they don't need the heat?

I would still provide heat until you see that they are not using it. 3-4 Weeks is a bit young to remove heat, unless your ambient temps were pretty high - and yours aren't high enough yet. But, by 6 weeks you shouldn't need heat.

I would still provide heat until you see that they are not using it. 3-4 Weeks is a bit young to remove heat, unless your ambient temps were pretty high - and yours aren't high enough yet. But, by 6 weeks you shouldn't need heat.
They typically sleep closer to the ‘cool’ side a little spread out but still close enough to stretch their neck for a cuddle. I’m just worried about the transition and if they’ll need supplemental heat during it since I want to put them out at four weeks. They’re already accustomed to the coop and the outdoors and have gone out for at least and hour and a half while still being comfortable.

They typically sleep closer to the ‘cool’ side a little spread out but still close enough to stretch their neck for a cuddle. I’m just worried about the transition and if they’ll need supplemental heat during it since I want to put them out at four weeks. They’re already accustomed to the coop and the outdoors and have gone out for at least and hour and a half while still being comfortable.

Yes, I would still add supplemental heat until they show you that they consistently don't need it. But, they may need it at night, when you are not watching them.

I put mine out over winter, December and an January, the first ones at 9 weeks old and the second set at about 5 or six weeks (I forget). I’ve also just tossed 40 day old chicks into my barn with only a few heat plates. Everyone made it, happy and chirping away exploring like crazy when I checked them this morning.

With my first group I set a little training roost away from my heat plate, once they were all using it at night I took the heater away completely inside. Not sure how it goes with lamps though I would worry about them in a coop.

so i have to figure out a way to wire the heat lamp into the coop when i put them out? how do i transition from no heat to heat?

You give them enough space to get away from the heat. They will self-regulate. As long as they can access/find the heat they need, its all good. But, they require less and less as they get older.

I've had broody hens be done with mothering when the chicks were only 4 weeks, and the youngsters all figured out how to survive in the yard and coop just fine. But, it was during the summer, and a little warmer than your temperatures (highs in 80s, lows in 50s).

You could go two directions here. First, you could make a heat source available them until they are a little older. If you go that route, I would look into buying or making a heating plate, as that is a little less risky then using a heat lamp in a coop.

Second, you start weaning them off the heat while they are still inside. Make them a huddle box, filled with straw or some type of insulate bedding. Turn off the heat lamp and light and see if they are finding the huddle box and if they seem to be in any distress. Gradually lengthen the amount of time the heat lamp is off at night, until they are sleeping through the night without any heat. It may mean setting an alarm and getting up to check. When they go to the coop -- move the huddle box out with them. The fact they are already spending time outside now is good. Exposure to cooler temperatures will encourage feathering out.

The one thing I would not do, is keep them on heat in your house and then abruptly move them outside with no heat.

Back
Top Bottom