Throwing the Gals Outside

I've had broody hens be done with mothering when the chicks were only 4 weeks, and the youngsters all figured out how to survive in the yard and coop just fine. But, it was during the summer, and a little warmer than your temperatures (highs in 80s, lows in 50s).

You could go two directions here. First, you could make a heat source available them until they are a little older. If you go that route, I would look into buying or making a heating plate, as that is a little less risky then using a heat lamp in a coop.

Second, you start weaning them off the heat while they are still inside. Make them a huddle box, filled with straw or some type of insulate bedding. Turn off the heat lamp and light and see if they are finding the huddle box and if they seem to be in any distress. Gradually lengthen the amount of time the heat lamp is off at night, until they are sleeping through the night without any heat. It may mean setting an alarm and getting up to check. When they go to the coop -- move the huddle box out with them. The fact they are already spending time outside now is good. Exposure to cooler temperatures will encourage feathering out.

The one thing I would not do, is keep them on heat in your house and then abruptly move them outside with no heat.
Okay, but still let them have heat during the day, right? I think over this week before they’re 4weeks I’ll take them out maybe once every two days on a treat fueled field trip to their coop and do the things you said as well. The girls are covered in so many feathers, they look older than they are. They’re growing feathers on their heads and necks now.

For some reason I thought you had already weaned them off of daytime heat. So, if you are still giving them heat during the day, I would start gradually weaning them off of day-time heat first. I would keep reducing and then eliminate the heat as long as the chicks are comfortable. It's pretty obvious when chicks are too cold, as they will loudly and continuously peep.

For some reason I thought you had already weaned them off of daytime heat. So, if you are still giving them heat during the day, I would start gradually weaning them off of day-time heat first. I would keep reducing and then eliminate the heat as long as the chicks are comfortable. It's pretty obvious when chicks are too cold, as they will loudly and continuously peep.
We can hear them through the whole house when they distress peep. The only reason they’ve had to distress peep so far is to get treats and pets. Cute little buggers. They know how to fool me.

What is the temp under the lamp compared to the room? And how much time do they spend under the heat?
room temp is a comfy 70, heat lamp spikes it to 85. gets a little colder at night, maybe low as 65 or so. don’t know about with the lamp on though.

I have to say I'm following this because I just turned off the brooder plate on my chicks at 4 weeks minus 1 day. They are still inside and have nearly all their feathers. I don't plan on putting them out in the big coop for another two weeks so I have time to let them adjust to life without the extra heat. And yes they are dusty little things but I have an air cleaner going 24/7 and that is a tremendous help. I would be very concerned about putting your chicks outside before they have completely feathered out. And please don't put a heat lamp in your coop. Dust is combustible.

I haven’t personally used a lamp yet. I bought two, but realized I don’t have enough electricity to run them (off grid solar setup needs more panels and a lot more battery storage for that). I really prefer the heat plates, they just come out when they are ready or don’t fit under it anymore.

The are probably fine inside without heat for a bit. If you can take them off the heat and continue to drop the temperature of their room until it’s closer to your outside temps? I think the basic idea is like hardening off plants to go outside.

I haven’t personally used a lamp yet. I bought two, but realized I don’t have enough electricity to run them (off grid solar setup needs more panels and a lot more battery storage for that). I really prefer the heat plates, they just come out when they are ready or don’t fit under it anymore.

The are probably fine inside without heat for a bit. If you can take them off the heat and continue to drop the temperature of their room until it’s closer to your outside temps? I think the basic idea is like hardening off plants to go outside.
I can't drop the temperature of their room without dropping the temperature of the whole house. To @Wee Farmer Sarah 's point, my grandparents put their broilers outside at four weeks, and since they're farmers I'd thought that was fine and promised my family they'd be out by then. After doing more research especially as of late, it's probably not fine but I really can't afford a heat plate or an air cleaner cause I'm just a lousy kid. I feel so bad for my chicks. I'm trying to give them a great life but I feel like I'm messing everything up, and now I can't take back what I promised about the 4 weeks thing. My family doesn't want to deal with it. I can set them up in the garage for indoor time but for most of the day they'll have to be outside. They're still too small to be able to get in the coop on their own because the ladder is so stupidly wide in between the things that they fit right through and they don't see the point attempting when it's so fun in the run and the ladder is so scary anyway and I can't teach them like a momma hen and ahhhhhhhhh this is stressful!

I can't drop the temperature of their room without dropping the temperature of the whole house. To @Wee Farmer Sarah 's point, my grandparents put their broilers outside at four weeks, and since they're farmers I'd thought that was fine and promised my family they'd be out by then. After doing more research especially as of late, it's probably not fine but I really can't afford a heat plate or an air cleaner cause I'm just a lousy kid. I feel so bad for my chicks. I'm trying to give them a great life but I feel like I'm messing everything up, and now I can't take back what I promised about the 4 weeks thing. My family doesn't want to deal with it. I can set them up in the garage for indoor time but for most of the day they'll have to be outside. They're still too small to be able to get in the coop on their own because the ladder is so stupidly wide in between the things that they fit right through and they don't see the point attempting when it's so fun in the run and the ladder is so scary anyway and I can't teach them like a momma hen and ahhhhhhhhh this is stressful!

Don’t worry, you’re doing fine! I bet your garage is colder than the house but warmer than outside? See if you can move them into there for a bit maybe? That’s how I got around my eviction in December, and it was a lot colder then! They are much more resilient than you think!

Back
Top Bottom