?? Tiamulin hydrogen fumarate for pneumonia ???

NanaKat

Enabler
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Meeker, Ok 20+chicken years
Is anyone familiar with using Tiamulin for treating pneumonia or dysentery in chickens?
I know it is used for swine but have heard it can be used for chickens.
Directions on the Denegard bottle say to make a stock solution from the concentrate and then use the reduced stock solution mixed in fresh water for 5 days

By my calculations that would be 1/4 cup of the 12.5% per quart of water for the stock solution..
Then for pneumonia it would be to mix 3 oz (6 TBS) of the stock solution in a gallon jug of water and give fresh daily to the affected bird.
For dysentery it would only be 1 oz (2 TBS) of the stock solution in a gallon jug of water.

Is this right?

I have a beautiful cochin hen with a respiratory infection that is not responding to Tylon 50 shots twice a day. I'm hoping the Tiamulin will help.

Tiamulin aka Denagard is mainly used to treat CRD, ie mycoplasma diseases in poultry. There is no resistance nor withdrawal from eggs. There is a 2 day withdrawal for slaughter. It may treat one or two strains of pneumonia associated with mycoplasma diseases. However, it's the mycoplasma that causes the introduction of pneumonia. You'd be better off using amoxicillin or preferably penicillin G procaine injections because it treats most strains of pneumonia, basically a broad spectrum antibiotic IF you're NOT dealing with MG/MS.
The dosage for denagard is 16cc's per gallon of water for the initial treatment dose for 3-5 days. Then there's a monthly preventative dose of 8cc's per gallon of water for 3 days. Denagard can be purchased from QC Supply and it's not cheap, but will last you a long time. Penicillin G procaine is much cheaper.
You can make the 1 gallon mixture of denagard and put whatever amount you need in a waterer and put the rest in the fridge for the next change out in the waterer. I believe it's still good for several days or longer.
In addition, I recommend using oxine which can be purchased from Revival Animal Health. Dosage is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water. You can put it in a plastic spray bottle and set the nozzle on the finest mist possible. Mist over the chickens head 3 times a day for 10 days. Use the oxine in conjunction with either denagard or penicillin, whichever you decide to choose. You do NOT need to use the activator in the oxine.

Dawg53, Thank you for the information on the tiamulin. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share.
I have Denegard already as we have a cattle ranch. Your "recipe" is much easier than the one I had derived from the printed information on the bottle.
Will try the Denegard first and then since I have the penicillin G procaine, I can switch from the Tylan 50 if needed.

I use Oxine in all water given to all my birds already at the rate you suggested. I also clean the hen houses regularly and spray all surfaces with Oxine. I have a pump mister I can use for the aerosol treatment.

The bird being treated was purchased at a local auction and come from a reputable breeder. I bought two of the hens from a friend who had made the initial purchase within two weeks of the auction. Any bird brought into my flock is bathed, de-loused, wormed and quarantined for 30 days before joining the flock. The hen was already having some difficulty when she arrived so I suspect she picked up something along the way. Stress from the journey most likely lowered resistance.

My initial diagnosis was a possible gape worm since there was not eye or sinus issues and I could feel a bulge in the trachea between the back of the throat and the crop. I gave her a few drops of ivimectin as part of the worming treatment.

The hen is a sweet girl and has a healthy appetite. We have been treating her now for 9 days with no improvement...and no deterioration. The other hen has no symptoms.

Last edited:
Tiamulin aka Denagard is mainly used to treat CRD, ie mycoplasma diseases in poultry. There is no resistance nor withdrawal from eggs. There is a 2 day withdrawal for slaughter. It may treat one or two strains of pneumonia associated with mycoplasma diseases. However, it's the mycoplasma that causes the introduction of pneumonia. You'd be better off using amoxicillin or preferably penicillin G procaine injections because it treats most strains of pneumonia, basically a broad spectrum antibiotic IF you're NOT dealing with MG/MS.
The dosage for denagard is 16cc's per gallon of water for the initial treatment dose for 3-5 days. Then there's a monthly preventative dose of 8cc's per gallon of water for 3 days. Denagard can be purchased from QC Supply and it's not cheap, but will last you a long time. Penicillin G procaine is much cheaper.
You can make the 1 gallon mixture of denagard and put whatever amount you need in a waterer and put the rest in the fridge for the next change out in the waterer. I believe it's still good for several days or longer.
In addition, I recommend using oxine which can be purchased from Revival Animal Health. Dosage is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water. You can put it in a plastic spray bottle and set the nozzle on the finest mist possible. Mist over the chickens head 3 times a day for 10 days. Use the oxine in conjunction with either denagard or penicillin, whichever you decide to choose. You do NOT need to use the activator in the oxine.

Just the information I am looking for, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom