Tina Sleeping in the trees **Photos**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    As many of you know I recently became a proud mommy of a beautiful Red Polish hen....she is a very funny girl....I don't know how she lived before comming here but she spends all day long with the girls and then exactly at 8:15 pm she flies into the trees. I finally caught her doing this tonight....I just love her [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally a good stink eye photo [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The queen of the coop
    [​IMG]
    and up to the tree tops we go
    [​IMG]

I am waiting to see if she goes into the coop when it rains.....

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's a beautiful hen. Sleeping in the trees is an invitation to many predators especially GHO.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    If you put her in the coop a couple nights in a row do you think she'd learn that the coop is her safety zone?

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    She's fun looking [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I hope she goes inside for you.....because of preds.. I've had chickens show up out of nowhere since the mid 90s and start out sleeping up in trees (this began before I had chicken digs) - luckily nobody got hurt by hawks or tree climbers before I could catch them and get them doing the coop thing...
    JJ

5. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Haha, Tuna... I get it. Cute.

6. ladybug99

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I know it is not good for them to sleep in the trees.. we have been trying to catch her for the past five nights.. she gets on top of the coop and is impossible to catch... and on the ground she is even faster... she did go in one night when it was drizzling. My BF said she just needs to be fattened up a bit and she won't be able to fly [​IMG]

7. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I adopted a silkie who did this too for the first few nights (a silkie? go figure:rolleyes:). This is what worked:

Catch her about an hour before she goes up, and put her in the coop with 1 friend. Make it the same time each night, lock them in a dog crate or a nest box inside the coop if you can, and do it steadily every night for a couple of weeks. Sooner or later being in the coop and waking in the coop will befcome habit & will feel like the safe & "right" thing to do for her. Plus, she'll have a good hen friend in the one she slept next to.

If you can't catch her easily, try getting one of the long handled telescoping pool nets from a pool supply store or from Home Depot. I hav one & it works wonders in getting some of the prepubescent flighty pullets to come in from the forest.
    She looks beautiful. I [​IMG] Polish Cresteds as well. Good luck!

8. ladybug99

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    hmmm a pool net sounds like a good idea.... I am going to have to try that

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I don't know what to tell you about tree roosting, but MAN is she cute! I've never heard of red polish, is that an actual breed or is she a mutt? LOVE IT!

10. KopyKat

KopyKat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Round Rock, Texas
    She is sooooo adorable. (normally not a word I would use)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by