Tina Sleeping in the trees **Photos**

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
As many of you know I recently became a proud mommy of a beautiful Red Polish hen....she is a very funny girl....I don't know how she lived before comming here but she spends all day long with the girls and then exactly at 8:15 pm she flies into the trees. I finally caught her doing this tonight....I just love her
woot.gif

65207_dsc04230.jpg

Finally a good stink eye photo
smile.png

65207_dsc04232.jpg

The queen of the coop
65207_dsc04237.jpg

and up to the tree tops we go
65207_dsc04238.jpg

I am waiting to see if she goes into the coop when it rains.....

She's fun looking
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I hope she goes inside for you.....because of preds.. I've had chickens show up out of nowhere since the mid 90s and start out sleeping up in trees (this began before I had chicken digs) - luckily nobody got hurt by hawks or tree climbers before I could catch them and get them doing the coop thing...
JJ

I know it is not good for them to sleep in the trees.. we have been trying to catch her for the past five nights.. she gets on top of the coop and is impossible to catch... and on the ground she is even faster... she did go in one night when it was drizzling. My BF said she just needs to be fattened up a bit and she won't be able to fly
lol.png

I adopted a silkie who did this too for the first few nights (a silkie? go figure:rolleyes:). This is what worked:

Catch her about an hour before she goes up, and put her in the coop with 1 friend. Make it the same time each night, lock them in a dog crate or a nest box inside the coop if you can, and do it steadily every night for a couple of weeks. Sooner or later being in the coop and waking in the coop will befcome habit & will feel like the safe & "right" thing to do for her. Plus, she'll have a good hen friend in the one she slept next to.

If you can't catch her easily, try getting one of the long handled telescoping pool nets from a pool supply store or from Home Depot. I hav one & it works wonders in getting some of the prepubescent flighty pullets to come in from the forest.
She looks beautiful. I
love.gif
Polish Cresteds as well. Good luck!

I don't know what to tell you about tree roosting, but MAN is she cute! I've never heard of red polish, is that an actual breed or is she a mutt? LOVE IT!

Back
Top Bottom