Tips for Keeping Humidity Levels Consistent

latebloomer

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
green mountain state
hi everyone

i'm about at the halfway point on my second hatch. i'm using a hovabator 1602N with a fan and am hand-turning twenty-two bbs orpington eggs. i'm trying lower humidity levels for the first eighteen days of the hatch, my question is about maintaining higher humidity levels during lockdown.

my particular issue is the overnight stretch, were even with both vent covers in place the humidity level is dropping fifteen percent or more.

i could wake myself up during to put more damp sponges in, but wondered if there is a way around that.

any tips from you pros?

Last edited:
fill both trays,and add sponges on both sides of the bator on the wire rack,use straws to add water to the sponges as needed threw the vent holes so u dant have to open the bator i have the same model and mines holds around 70 per at lockdown and 40 during the first 18. hope that helps

I have all the troughs in the tray filled and a small Tupperware container with paper towels filled with water and the humidty is right at 70. I have a still air though.
Good luck!

Quote:
well my problem was needing more humidity in mine for lockdown so i turned a small fan on in the room on low turned away from my bator and sealed up my incubator (after i put hot water in with extra sponges and my humidity got to 68-77% in the bator i guess that level was to high so i unplugged one hole now its staying steady at 60% and i find myself still waking up to check on it! LOL i think thats a givin:fl im on day 19 and
caf.gif

i'll try all of these things when i get to lockdown.

thank you for your advice.

lost one of my eggs today, had some leaking and on further examination a crack. that one is out of there.

Quote:
I tried multiple sponges and wet paper towel and a fan...nothing KEPT my humidity up to 70. When I took someones advice and ran a humidifier next to the incubator it was able to stabilize in the mid 60's. I was up til 1:30 last night trying to figure it out. Lockdown started at 8:30, so we were a little late, but we got it figured out.

Great advice!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I tried multiple sponges and wet paper towel and a fan...nothing KEPT my humidity up to 70. When I took someones advice and ran a humidifier next to the incubator it was able to stabilize in the mid 60's. I was up til 1:30 last night trying to figure it out. Lockdown started at 8:30, so we were a little late, but we got it figured out.

Great advice!
thumbsup.gif

good luck on your lockdown!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom