To refrigerate or not to refrigerate: New Chicken Farmer-- Question about eggs!

caracara13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Hello there, I am wondering what everyone does regarding refrigerating or not refrigerating their eggs. I was told that you could keep eggs for a month or so at room temp. I also read that if you wash the eggs, you must keep them in the refrigerator. Input please! :)
D.gif

I'm no expert, and would like suggestions also...but...
I wash most of my eggs under running water, and if i don't put them in the fridge (Leave @ room temp - could be up to 35 degrees C) within about 3 weeks, I'll find a rotton one or more. But, having said that, I once had about 4 weeks worth backed up and they wouldn't have gone over 24 degrees C and there were ALL fine.

Anybody have answers???

I would either wash then refrigerate or dont wash and don't refrigerate -- but don't criss cross it. If you put them in the frig they sweat and the bloom gets ruined so bacteria can get in the egg. The temp of the frig does not kill all bacteria. So if you feel better with them in the frig I would wash well first. (Chances are your home eggs are pretty clean so its not a big deal but I think it's the best bet)

Otherwise, just leave them be on the counter and wash right before use. I leave mine out.

This is a great article.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

I don't normally wash my eggs. Since I sell most of mine, if there is a bit of poop stuck to it I'll try scraping it off or if its really dirty I'll rinse it under running water. I don't like leaving my eggs sitting out for more than 2 days. I have heard that unwashed eggs last longer. Not sure if its true, just what I have heard. Also, I have heard that placing the egg in the carton with the narrow side pointing down helps the egg last longer as well. Again, not sure how true that is but I've always been in the habit of placing them narrow side down when I carton them up to sell.

I don't normally wash my eggs. Since I sell most of mine, if there is a bit of poop stuck to it I'll try scraping it off or if its really dirty I'll rinse it under running water. I don't like leaving my eggs sitting out for more than 2 days. I have heard that unwashed eggs last longer. Not sure if its true, just what I have heard. Also, I have heard that placing the egg in the carton with the narrow side pointing down helps the egg last longer as well. Again, not sure how true that is but I've always been in the habit of placing them narrow side down when I carton them up to sell.
Unwashed eggs do indeed last longer, whether in the fridge or out on the counter. It's OK to leave them on the counter, but they age faster than if they're in the fridge. Check out the article linked above--it's interesting!

I'm no expert, and would like suggestions also...but...
I wash most of my eggs under running water, and if i don't put them in the fridge (Leave @ room temp - could be up to 35 degrees C) within about 3 weeks, I'll find a rotton one or more. But, having said that, I once had about 4 weeks worth backed up and they wouldn't have gone over 24 degrees C and there were ALL fine.

Anybody have answers???

some eggs are more porous than others. The more porous ones dont last as long.
Hello there, I am wondering what everyone does regarding refrigerating or not refrigerating their eggs. I was told that you could keep eggs for a month or so at room temp. I also read that if you wash the eggs, you must keep them in the refrigerator. Input please! :)
D.gif
we refridgerate ours, we dont need to but we do. when you wash the eggs it takes away the bloom. When the bloom is taken away the egg becomes more porous, and lets more bacteria in.

i sell my eggs to people who hate it when the eggs arent washed. Complaints complaints.. well since i get 25 dozen a week i have no choice but sell, and i have to clean. Everybody eats theirs within a week to two weeks, so its not harmful. we dont wash ours unless its completely caked with stuff, and usually we throw those out.

Back
Top Bottom