To those who put vinegar in the water...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by IggiMom, May 15, 2010.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I do this with my older chickens, but I was wondering if you can put vinegar in the water of the chicks, also?

Ok to do?

Thanks.

Catherine (IggiMom)

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I use it in my chicks water as well. Works fine. [​IMG]

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    what is the purpose for it

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    It's an added health benefit, I've also hheard if you give them the ACV as pullets, you will have more female eggs hatch than roos.

5. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    It raised the acidity in the body and makes in less inhabitable for germs, worms, and I just read that it keeps chickens form getting cocideocious(not sure of spelling)all kinds of health beifits even for humans.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I tried that last year. I did a hatch after the brahmas were on ACV for a while and hatched out lots of pullets, hardly any roos. Then I took them off for a month or so, and I did another hatch, it was full of roos. [​IMG] I heard rabbit breeders do that to get more females.

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's used as a pro-biotic to keep their digestive system in balance. Apple cider vinegar also keeps worms at bay along with other health benefits. A good bonus is that water with ACV added grows slime more slowly. I've used it with my chicks since day one.

Jenny

8. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Great, thanks folks.

Catherine

9. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my chicks vaccinated for cocci and marreks...do I need to add vinegar stuff or not?
    And what is ACV?

10. sillie70

sillie70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Burlington, Washington
    I was wondering if anyone has answers fo me ....I have a sick chick Its Bearded Belgum D Uccle black molted and born April 2nd. Hes listles ,droopy and kind of pale. Does not want to eat and drank when i put his beak in the water. Hes in with 12 0ther chicks all same age some different breeds (silkie-ameraucanas- salmon faverolle and 3 other duccle's .pen is clean and water is always fresh with lots of food always was fine yesterday.please help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by