To wash. Or not to wash. That, is the question.

Do you wash your eggs?

• Yes

Votes: 42 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 28.4%
  • Only when VISIBLY dirty.

Votes: 74 45.7%

• Total voters
Pics

AgentJeffy

Chirping
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
Hey everyone!

So this is going to be more of a collection of ideas all in one place for chicken eggs. I'm aware of the pros and the cons of egg washing for the most part. But I still think this would be a useful thread for anyone looking for the arguments from both sides, as well as a poll to see which thought camp is larger. So in this thread just post if you wash your eggs or not and what your thought is about it, as well as vote in the poll.

Thanks everyone, and happy laying!

I for one do not wash my eggs.

Salmonella is only a concern if your coop/chickens are dirty. My chickens free range all day and aren't confined in a space of filth. Nature has provided a wonderful way of preventing the permeation of bacteria into the eggs (the bloom on the eggs produced by the mother) and if it's sufficient enough to protect the existence of the chicken offspring, then it's sufficient enough for my consumption, lol.

Not to mention salmonella has always been a thing, but eggs were ate without much issue for centuries. Salmonella outbreaks only became a concern when eggs were mass harvested in filthy conditions. I'd be surprised if any of the chicken breeders/keepers on here have had an issue with salmonella.

I can't vote because my answer is both. If they are dirty, they get washed and put in the fridge, if they are clean they go in the carton on the counter. I have an 18-egg carton in refrigerator and we cycle through the eggs fairly fast for fried eggs for breakfast. (cold eggs fry up better than room temp eggs. The yolks stand tall and the whites don't run nearly as far and wide) If too many build up in the refrigerator, I boil them for lunches.
The clean eggs on the counter are for baking, cooking, scrambled, and giving away to friends. If I get too many on the counter - um - wait, that hasn't happened. Our friends like to get fresh eggs. One friend gifts us with homegrown maple syrup and another gives us venison sausage.

I can't vote because my answer is both. If they are dirty, they get washed and put in the fridge, if they are clean they go in the carton on the counter. I have an 18-egg carton in refrigerator and we cycle through the eggs fairly fast for fried eggs for breakfast. (cold eggs fry up better than room temp eggs. The yolks stand tall and the whites don't run nearly as far and wide) If too many build up in the refrigerator, I boil them for lunches.
The clean eggs on the counter are for baking, cooking, scrambled, and giving away to friends. If I get too many on the counter - um - wait, that hasn't happened. Our friends like to get fresh eggs. One friend gifts us with homegrown maple syrup and another gives us venison sausage.

I'll add a third option of (Only when they are visibly dirty), I just assumed that everyone washed them when they were visibly dirty so I didn't include it. I just know that some people will wash regardless of visibility of filth.

I'll add a third option of (Only when they are visibly dirty), I just assumed that everyone washed them when they were visibly dirty so I didn't include it. I just know that some people will wash regardless of visibility of filth.

Now washing without being dirty is something I don't agree on.

Back
Top Bottom