Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Hatcheries car
Not true, a lot of people get CX cockerals
Hatcheries carefully sex them idk how at day old to prevent selling that could breed. For those who buy thousands of chicks, they're usually for culling. But when you buy from stores for backyard raising, they usually end up pullets. I rarely see mix genders

My uncle have CX that laid at 8 months. They were literally free range and just eat whatever is on the ground or thrown from the kitchen. They're still so huge. Beautiful white birds and she laid 20 eggs so far. But my uncle use them as table eggs. That's the only problem with CX and that u can't find any CX roo in the market. Just pullets
Most hatcheries sell both.

I bought from Hoover

Hatcheries car

Hatcheries carefully sex them idk how at day old to prevent selling that could breed. For those who buy thousands of chicks, they're usually for culling. But when you buy from stores for backyard raising, they usually end up pullets. I rarely see mix genders
If you look at the 3rd post on this thread, the "frog" is a CX crossed with a CX. That requires both genders.

CX do not breed true and rarely live to breeding age so no real reason for the hatcheries to not sell both genders.

If you look at the 3rd post on this thread, the "frog" is a CX crossed with a CX. That requires both genders.

CX do not breed true and rarely live to breeding age so no real reason for the hatcheries to not sell both genders.
They breed more true than the hatcheries want you to know.

But they have problems. I am guessing they are fairly inbred.
They have a digestion system that it too good. They can weight easily and have morbidity associated with the weight.

They need to have a way to lose heat in the summer. My toads will be nearly naked by July.

we had two days over 70 this week, I lost 2 toads.

They need to be bred for your climate. We need to put cushion or rose combs on them up here.

Down south you need the big floppy combs and no feathers, I like the naked neck idea for down there.

the biggest thing is do not over feed them.

Keep them active. Move their feeders around and have water everywhere.

Tym from the thread it didn't give some specifics of the parents but more of the Dixie rainbows physical/plumage. There's a chicken called kabir, would you say that it can be a Dixie rainbow? Kabir are huge chicken but looks like a mix of brown, black, red and orange feathers.

This is not an exact science. It was me experimenting with trying to make a sustainable meat bird.

People add in what they want to make it work for them. It is not cheaper than buying CXs. It’s a lot of work with lots of failures.

I enjoyed making and raising them, but for me, because of my age, I am done making them.

I have no more breeding roosters. I only have one crippled male left alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom