Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not an exact science. It was me experimenting with trying to make a sustainable meat bird.

People add in what they want to make it work for them. It is not cheaper than buying CXs. It’s a lot of work with lots of failures.

I enjoyed making and raising them, but for me, because of my age, I am done making them.

I have no more breeding roosters. I only have one crippled male left alive.
Thank you for your honesty and quick response. Honestly it's hard to tell if hatcheries from my area are selling first generation F1 CX. They could be multi generations already. I wonder if that will affect the result. Also, coming up with an own CX is a bit expensive since they're a cross of two expensive breeds--cornish and white Rock. Thank you for all this informative posts!

Also, coming up with an own CX is a bit expensive since they're a cross of two expensive breeds--cornish and white Rock.

Actually the Cornish X is not a cross between a Cornish and White Rock. They were developed about 70 years ago and Cornish and White Rock were two of the parent breeds (may have been others also). But geneticists have improved them over the years to where they have the traits for very fast growth we see today. It's developed to the point that it takes 7 different flock to produce the eggs that hatch into the Cornish X birds we eat. Four flocks produce a specific grandparent of the Cornish X, their offspring are combined in a specific way to produce the parents of the Cornish X, then the one flock that lays the eggs the Cornish X hatch from. This article talks about how it works in Australia but the general principles are the same. So yes, really expensive to produce them.

https://www.chicken.org.au/chicken-meat-production/

Most of the research is not in genetics, they have that pretty well in hand. The research is primarily how to be most efficient in keeping the Cornish X alive and rapidly gaining weight and how to manage the parent and grandparent flocks to keep them alive an producing fertile eggs.

The Cornish X are hybrids and will not breed true, that part is correct. You will not get pure Cornish X if you breed males and females. But as Ralphie mentioned, they do have the genetics for very rapid growth. They are still going to grow so fast your challenge is keeping them alive, though some will grow a little faster than others.

I looked at those Kabirs, they look a lot like the Rangers. Technically they are not a breed. A breed is recognized by your national poultry association, each country is different though some countries adopt the Standards of other countries. The Standard Of Perfection (SOP) defines what makes it a breed. Feather color is not one of them. Things like comb type, leg color, egg shell color, eye color, size, and especially body conformation is what makes a breed. Feather color is a variation. As an example, an Auracana in the UK looks a lot different than an Auracana in the US and each country has different approved feather colors and patterns.

Instead I'd call the Kabir a type, like a Ranger is a type. They have certain characteristics but a lot of leeway is allowed in them.

Actually the Cornish X is not a cross between a Cornish and White Rock. They were developed about 70 years ago and Cornish and White Rock were two of the parent breeds (may have been others also). But geneticists have improved them over the years to where they have the traits for very fast growth we see today. It's developed to the point that it takes 7 different flock to produce the eggs that hatch into the Cornish X birds we eat. Four flocks produce a specific grandparent of the Cornish X, their offspring are combined in a specific way to produce the parents of the Cornish X, then the one flock that lays the eggs the Cornish X hatch from. This article talks about how it works in Australia but the general principles are the same. So yes, really expensive to produce them.

https://www.chicken.org.au/chicken-meat-production/

Most of the research is not in genetics, they have that pretty well in hand. The research is primarily how to be most efficient in keeping the Cornish X alive and rapidly gaining weight and how to manage the parent and grandparent flocks to keep them alive an producing fertile eggs.

The Cornish X are hybrids and will not breed true, that part is correct. You will not get pure Cornish X if you breed males and females. But as Ralphie mentioned, they do have the genetics for very rapid growth. They are still going to grow so fast your challenge is keeping them alive, though some will grow a little faster than others.

I looked at those Kabirs, they look a lot like the Rangers. Technically they are not a breed. A breed is recognized by your national poultry association, each country is different though some countries adopt the Standards of other countries. The Standard Of Perfection (SOP) defines what makes it a breed. Feather color is not one of them. Things like comb type, leg color, egg shell color, eye color, size, and especially body conformation is what makes a breed. Feather color is a variation. As an example, an Auracana in the UK looks a lot different than an Auracana in the US and each country has different approved feather colors and patterns.

Instead I'd call the Kabir a type, like a Ranger is a type. They have certain characteristics but a lot of leeway is allowed in them.
Yes, Kabir isn't really a breed but a type. It came up since the term Dixie rainbow was very new to me. The difference is freedom rangers aren't as big as Kabir. Kabir chicken is slight bigger than say Rhode island red and meatier. I was hoping I could get a clear direction of identifying a Dixie rainbow. It was my first time to hear about it in this thread

I guess I'll just have to settle for the hatcheries in acquiring a Cornish cross

Chantecler is a Canadian breed bred for meat. I just picked up a dozen chicks to give them a try. They won't grow fast like CX, but I'm hoping they will be pretty good meat birds that I can easily reproduce. Sustainable birds may be important in at least the near future.

Chantecler is a Canadian breed bred for meat. I just picked up a dozen chicks to give them a try. They won't grow fast like CX, but I'm hoping they will be pretty good meat birds that I can easily reproduce. Sustainable birds may be important in at least the near future.
Chanticlers are great birds, I use to have some. My last one died this spring... I think.

they have a cushion comb. I used them on the toads.

No, your last one hasn't died yet. The Princess is still here.
I might have a hen here also. I haven’t looked. I should have said my last Chanticler rooster.

Princess is special, even though she looks Chanticler and has the award winning personality, she is a mutt, that happened to win a beauty show.

Snuggle with her and tell her I think about her once in a great while.

I might have a hen here also. I haven’t looked. I should have said my last Chanticler rooster.

Princess is special, even though she looks Chanticler and has the award winning personality, she is a mutt, that happened to win a beauty show.

Snuggle with her and tell her I think about her once in a great while.

She hates me, you want to snuggle her and whisper in her ear? I'll bring her to you :gig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom