amymae1100

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2014
Texas
I have been wanting turkeys forever and especially since I had to give away my guineas because they started bothering the neighbors after 4 years of staying in our yard, darn things, (released them at a friend's drive-thru safari though :)) So I finally bought 1 tom (jake?) and 1 hen from a local breeder.
:wee
They are mixed because I didn't care the breed. I just wanted the prettiest ones, lol. So the jake is suppose to be a Royal Palm/Bronze mix and the "hen" a Bronze/Bourbon Red. Problem is my husband swears that our hen gobbled yesterday when he approached their coop! He said they both started strutting around as well. We let them out to free range for the first time yesterday and today they are enjoying the free run of the yard as well, although they stay right up by the house following our chickens around, lol. So what do yall think? 2 jake's or one of each? My husband swears they are Tom's but I'm in denial lol! I've only heard them chirp and "purr".
And, of course, any general free range turkey info is appreciated. :) TIA!!!

Bonus question... do these guys eat fleas? I never had much of a flea or scorpion problem until I got rid of my guineas. :fl

Attachments

• 20190901_123532.jpg
    20190901_123532.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190901_123541.jpg
    20190901_123541.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190901_123534.jpg
    20190901_123534.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190901_123517.jpg
    20190901_123517.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 25
I have been wanting turkeys forever and especially since I had to give away my guineas because they started bothering the neighbors after 4 years of staying in our yard, darn things, (released them at a friend's drive-thru safari though :)) So I finally bought 1 tom (jake?) and 1 hen from a local breeder.
:wee
They are mixed because I didn't care the breed. I just wanted the prettiest ones, lol. So the jake is suppose to be a Royal Palm/Bronze mix and the "hen" a Bronze/Bourbon Red. Problem is my husband swears that our hen gobbled yesterday when he approached their coop! He said they both started strutting around as well. We let them out to free range for the first time yesterday and today they are enjoying the free run of the yard as well, although they stay right up by the house following our chickens around, lol. So what do yall think? 2 jake's or one of each? My husband swears they are Tom's but I'm in denial lol! I've only heard them chirp and "purr".
And, of course, any general free range turkey info is appreciated. :) TIA!!!

Bonus question... do these guys eat fleas? I never had much of a flea or scorpion problem until I got rid of my guineas. :fl
Both appear to be toms. The Royal Palm/Bronze mix is not a Royal Palm/Bronze mix because such a mix would be a variety that your tom is not. That tom is either a Tri-Color Palm or a Calico. The Bronze/Bourbon Red mix is a Red Bronze.

Hah... I was trying to decide if the white one was a Tom or hen, noting the red/bourbon definitely looks like a Tom... and I believe your hubs! :)

Meaning I think both are Toms.

How long have you had them and what age were they said to be upon your purchase? :pop

He told me they were about 3 months old and I got them 2 wks ago.
Oh my!!! Then the mixes are clearly not what he told me. Lawd. This guy...
I texted him today to tell him my hen gobbled. We shall see if he returns the text.
I am not sure how in the world this guy couldn't get all his info messed up, geez. Suppose to be this expert and all :rant

He told me they were about 3 months old and I got them 2 wks ago.
Oh my!!! Then the mixes are clearly not what he told me. Lawd. This guy...
I texted him today to tell him my hen gobbled. We shall see if he returns the text.
I am not sure how in the world this guy couldn't get all his info messed up, geez. Suppose to be this expert and all :rant
Only the Palm mix is not what he said as far as the mix. A Bourbon Red mixed with a Bronze is a Red Bronze.

If he was such an expert, he would not have told you they were mixes but would have told you what varieties they actually are.

Right! :rolleyes: I am so frustrated with this guy. And he had a lot of birds too. Geese, ducks, guineas, etc. Oh I feel like a dummy!
Oh I see how it's a red bronze! Duh! I have a lot to learn, lol.

Im so thankful for y'all. Ive always come to backyardchickens for the real info on all my birds. So much conflicting info on the net...

Turkeys stay right by your house, they go a long ways away, they gobble only twice a day, they only gobble during making season, the hens will strut too, or won't. They eat bugs. They hardly eat any bugs. They will kill your chickens, they are fine being put into an existing flock. It is so frustrating!!!

I have 6 little banties I am soon going to intergrate into my flock of 4 hens. I hope the turkeys don't try to kill them.

Right! :rolleyes: I am so frustrated with this guy. And he had a lot of birds too. Geese, ducks, guineas, etc. Oh I feel like a dummy!
Oh I see how it's a red bronze! Duh! I have a lot to learn, lol.

Im so thankful for y'all. Ive always come to backyardchickens for the real info on all my birds. So much conflicting info on the net...

Turkeys stay right by your house, they go a long ways away, they gobble only twice a day, they only gobble during making season, the hens will strut too, or won't. They eat bugs. They hardly eat any bugs. They will kill your chickens, they are fine being put into an existing flock. It is so frustrating!!!

I have 6 little banties I am soon going to integrate into my flock of 4 hens. I hope the turkeys don't try to kill them.
Turkeys may or may not stay right by your house. It depends on the individual turkeys and your relationship with them.

Toms can and do gobble all year long. Any loud noise will often set them off. They may seem to gobble non stop during breeding season.

Turkey hens can and do strut. Turkeys eat bugs and small animals. I originally got my turkeys for grasshopper control. When the hens aren't sitting on nests being broody, the whole flock does a very good job of grasshopper control.

Turkeys that are imprinted by chickens lose the ability to understand that chickens are not turkeys. This can lead to some unfortunate results due to pecking order squabbles. Turkeys need a lot more room than chickens do. If you keep turkeys with chickens, make sure there are lots of obstacles and hiding places for the chickens to use as escapes. Once a turkey gets it into its mind to do something it takes real strong persuasion to get it to change its mind.

Introducing new turkeys into a flock of turkeys will cause pecking order disputes. The more a person interferes with these squabbles, the longer it will take for them to be settled.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Turkeys may or may not stay right by your house. It depends on the individual turkeys and your relationship with you.

Toms can and do gobble all year long. Any loud noise will often set them off. They may seem to gobble non stop during breeding season.

Turkey hens can and do strut. Turkeys eat bugs and small animals. I originally got my turkeys for grasshopper control. When the hens aren't sitting on nests being broody, the whole flock does a very good job of grasshopper control.

Turkeys that are imprinted by chickens lose the ability to understand that chickens are not turkeys. This can lead to some unfortunate results due to pecking order squabbles. Turkeys need a lot more room than chickens do. If you keep turkeys with chickens, make sure there are lots of obstacles and hiding places for the chickens to use as escapes. Once a turkey gets it into its mind to do something it takes real strong persuasion to get it to change its mind.

Introducing new turkeys into a flock of turkeys will cause pecking order disputes. The more a person interferes with these squabbles, the longer it will take for them to be settled.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! Your information will help me so much!!! Appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions!!

Back
Top Bottom