Too Loud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeksnfeet

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
IL/WI border
Our 3 Buff Orpingtons and 2 White Plymouth Rocks are 20 weeks old. No eggs yet. Yesterday morning they were so loud that they woke us up at 7:00 a.m. Today the same thing. I have to actually go out side to quiet them. We have nice neighbors and not so nice neighbors if you get my drift. They have never done this before and are usually very docile. 2 of them grumble and 3 mumble, so it is very comical when they do start chattering. But they have never been loud. Is it just a fluke, or do you think it could be because they are near their laying time? My DH thinks it is because I have been gone for a week and they sensed I was back home. I returned late on Friday so I didn't see them until I went out on Saturday morning to quiet them. They do like me and I sit in the run with them and pet them etc. But I have missed seeing them before, so I don't feel it is because of me.....Anyone have any ideas?

Young pullets can indeed be loud. I personally believe that the whole "hens are quiet" thing is rarer than most folks think. Some flocks of pullets don't make sound, but most are absurdly loud. Right now, I've got 5 Red pullets that are virtually identical (same sire) and they are about the noisiest bunch I've had in a while. Not much you can do. Can't spend my days shushing them. LOL They'll grow out it, or they they won't. You never know.

Young pullets can indeed be loud.  I personally believe that the whole "hens are quiet" thing is rarer than most folks think.  Some flocks of pullets don't make sound, but most are absurdly loud.  Right now, I've got 5 Red pullets that are virtually identical (same sire) and they are about the noisiest bunch I've had in a while.  Not much you can do.  Can't spend my days shushing them.  LOL  They'll grow out it, or they they won't. You never know.

Thanks! I guess I'll just bide my time and see what happens. Chicken knowledge is a lot like chicken math! The answer never adds up to what you think it should be! LOL Thanks again!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom