Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

• Sell them.
  • Cracked eggs get fed to the dogs.
  • Small eggs are given to neighbors, family, and friends.
  • A food pantry nearby takes food boxes to veterans twice a month and some go to them.
  • When we have more than we can use that way (usually in the early spring), we crack them into gallon-size freezer bags to be cooked and fed back to the chickens during molt and on very cold days, and...
  • We dehydrate some.
  • Any that make it to "old" status get composted or planted in the flower beds and in the garden.
  • Edit to add (...and I'm not sure how I failed to list this one!!) HATCH THEM!!!

Last edited:
I only had 4 feathered babies at the min so the eggs we get are just for us and our mother in law we get 2 big and 2 small eggs 2 are light and 2 are darker in colour makes me chuckle as we no which chicken has laid and which one goes in to broody mummy mode.

View attachment 2680976

As we all know eggs are a welcome benefit of keeping chickens, but sometimes, especially after chicken math hits and the flock grew, some of us may have the wonderful dilemma of having a few too many eggs! I'm curious to hear what you all do with your chickens' eggs. Especially the extra ones.

Pic by @chicken pickin

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Bribe the neighbors to not complain about the roo. Lol. We are allowed a roo with permission from the neighbors and they all agreed, as long as they get to share a bit in the bounty. 😉

We give ours away... or trade, but the goal is to sell some. But my favorite is when my wife makes any sort of pasta dish (from spaghetti and meatballs, to broccoli pasta sausage, to pork ragu, most any pasta dish works). A day or three later, she takes the leftovers and puts them in a frying pan with some oil. Beat around 8 eggs with cream/milk and salt, pour it over the pasta and fry til it sets, then transfer to the oven and bake until cooked and crispy on the outside.

The kids call it pasta eggy pie but it's amazing no matter what you call it, and a great way to handle leftovers.

I also love adding a couple eggs to various take out foods on the very rare occasions we eat out (2 eggs to some chow mein, for example, can turn a little leftovers into a meal)

During high production time in summer, the surplus is sold, although sometimes I have too many even for that. I tried water glassing last summer to preserve some for my own consumption for the winter slow season and they did well for about 6 months. Once I got to the ones that had been in the hydrated lime solution for longer than that, I started to find a few that had gone bad. (They may have had fine cracks from the weight of the newer eggs on top.) I ended up tossing the rest. If I do it again, I will start later in the summer or in early fall. My girls are not typically off-lay for long and typically start laying again by early to mid-January so I don't usually need that many to get thru the winter.

Back
Top Bottom