Topic of the Week - When eggs go wrong

Pics
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to the feed store today and will see if I can find some feed with calcium. I also let my older girls hang around for life...they are part of the family, so they should be treated that way!

Chickens can be so sweet and even the obnoxious personalities capture our love. We are zoned for only 5 hens/no roos so we've cycled through 18 chickens in 6 years to find our compatible backyard breeds -- only to have lost 5 birds in the past year to different medical issues or heat-related (our worst ever SoCal heatwaves last year where we lost 2 hens in 2 months in spite of cooling methods). I have been blessed with having a nearby vet who just happened to work in the poultry industry in his youth so he is very knowledgeable about chickens' medical issues. As for chicken personalities I have been able to teach him a thing or two in return - LOL! As backup when my vet is out of town I was fortunate to find another vet who is not as chicken knowledgeable but does see birds. Some people spend money on fancy cars, big homes, etc., and our $$$ has gone into chicken keeping in our retirement years for our enjoyment. Chickens are such practical pets for us -- being useful in return for eggs, fertilizer, bug control, entertainment, and joy to visitors. Certain hens become very special indeed.

While letting your old gals "hang around for life" is a personal decision, keep in mind that by the time a bird is showing signs of discomfort, that she is in a huge amount of pain. Many animals mask their pain, so if they show discomfort, they are suffering greatly. It's a personal choice regarding euthanizing a bird who is uncomfortable. I choose that approach.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Most animals will hide symptoms of pain and try to go about their daily routine to keep other animals from picking on them or becoming prey to predators. Chickens are no different. At the time an owner notices something "off" about a bird in the flock it's almost certain the issue has been building unawares. After 6 years of chicken-keeping I've been able to assess "off" issues as to whether it is a wait-and-see for 24 hours before going to the vet or if it's an immediate emergency. The key to keeping chickens around for the rest of their life is dependent on the key phrase "quality of life." I've had to make difficult choices to euthanize birds at different stages of life dependent on their medical issues. Other times, a couple hens were so spry and "normal" in the early morning but found during the day unexpectedly dead while taking their afternoon snooze break with body still warm to the touch and other hens unaware their side companion was gone. Who knows what kind of medical issue takes a bird like that without any outward sign, but for the most part I believe owners come to know their birds well enough to note the "off" behaviors and whether to worry. I've found the bulk of medical issues in my flock connected to laying issues -- irregular laying patterns, irregular shaped eggs, soft shell eggs. Laying issues is a good sign of something internal going on whether it's something as simple as diet or weather change or something more serious like parasites, viruses, disease, or tumor issues.

No eggs yet, but I'm sure my dozen Banty babes will be throwing me all sorts of curveballs next spring once they get started.

I see lots of posts from production breeds, but does anyone have a regular problem with oddballs from small birds like OEGBs, Japs, silkies or the like? :pop
We have 3 White Silkies.. 2 laying and 1 just squatting. So far, I've had only 1 weird looking egg from them when it was cracked.. it was very cloudy and the yolk not formed quite right, so down the drain it went. I think that one may have actually been her first egg. One of our Silkie girls lays pretty consistent bigger-small eggs every other day.

One of those early cycle curveballs got thrown my way this morning. This monster is a Dominique egg and yes she's fine. Amazing how far things can sway isn't it?
20170920_163856.jpg

I got a 3.1 ounce egg from an ISA brown, double yolk (twice, in the same week). Whats the heaviest egg you guys have gotten?

One of those early cycle curveballs got thrown my way this morning. This monster is a Dominique egg and yes she's fine. Amazing how far things can sway isn't it? View attachment 1141187

Wow! I'm interested in Doms because I have 3 new Dom chicks. How old was the Dom that layed your egg? Did you happen to weigh her egg? I assume it wasn't a double yolk?

This morning I found one of my hens out of the coop already roosting in the run. (I lock them all in at night so she must have been out hiding). Under her I spotted a yolk on the ground and an egg on top of it. I was so confused. Found this egg with a soft, membrane, semi formed shell around It, hanging off it... kinda gross but intriguing. I wonder if she was egg bound and this was the outcome?

Attachments

• 20170922_071935.jpg
    20170922_071935.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170922_071927.jpg
    20170922_071927.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 27
@Sylvester017 lol! That is Hobo's egg, that dom I'm always going on about in the Dominique thread, you've got a delaware over there to give me a confirmation on btw. That egg is 66 grams while her normal is 42 and I'm estimating she's five months old but she's an adoption so I'm not 100 percent talked to the lady that owned her and that didn't help one bit. Don't know if the egg is a double or not but when I use it I will sure let you know. :)

Back
Top Bottom