Tractor supply brands of feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use nature wise from TSC and haven't had really any issues.. won't buy dumor/Purina. I have 8 laying hens, young first years, I get anywhere from 5 to 7 eggs a day. Average 6.. we do have a night light in the barn, for our own purpose so as not to trip lol, they are awake approx 12 hours a day because hubby doesn't want to put them to bed when the sun goes down.. they are all so spoiled and happy..

I have been using the Nutrena Naturewise All flock 20% pellets. They have been on it for a few months now. For the price i think its the best bang for the buck. I take 2 cups daily and ferment for 2-3 days and feed that daily to them. I also have it available 24/7 in the feeder as dry food. It seems when its below 0 they don't care for it wet. And it freezes into whatever is left over. Thats why i feed the ferment in rubber dishes. Also my pullets are not yet laying. They were hatched August 1st. So any day now !

I use natures best organic starter/grower from TS most of my chickens are still laying a couple just went through a moly so took a break and another starting to molt as well. They are all under 1 year. No artificial lighting other than some twinkle lights to brighten the coop up a bit on cloudy days

My hens have stopped laying and I just saw something on YouTube about tractors feed might be missing something and causing this. Is this real? If this is being discussed or has a thread already please direct me to it.
thank you!!
There was a big discussion on our local fb chicken group. Several of the chicken moms are convinced that the feed is lacking some of the nutrients that are supposed to be in the feed. I personally find it hard to believe but…no one in our fb group has contacted the company to ask…my girls are in their first year of laying but have stopped. I figured it was because of the shorter days and they have all just molted…I feed them the dunmor layer mash….

Last edited:
Thanks Sue,I have Colombian Wyandottes. They have layer all winter before this year.
the only light difference is a motion activated light I hung off the coup thus fall. Egg production was already dropping before I added this light.
I saw a post This morning on YouTube that mentioned Dumor and Producers pride had deficiencies causing flocks to stop laying.
I know the folks on this site are passionate about their birds so if anyone knew if this was true you folks would.

Im just going to pay through the nose at my feed mill and buy thief food and see what happens.
thank you!!

Jay
I’ve also wondered whether or not some of the brands at tractor supply including pride layer pellets might explain why my hens, some of whom are only three years old, have not been laying very well this year. Not much else has changed around here including their housing and how they’re cared for. But I did used to buy my feed from the Feedmill which I might go back and see if I get better results. frankly none of the chickens like pellets. They prefer scratch but I know that it doesn’t have the high nutrient especially protein content so I limit that. I let them free range as much as possible while still keeping them protected in a large fenced yard most of the time. In the past we let them free range most of the time but they were being subjected to dangers so now they are in a quarter acre fenced yard and also have a covered fenced yard for nighttime protection as well as the chickenhouse of course. free ranging was the best for egg production I found of course they always had access to feed but to let them free range too much is dangerous because of coyotes and other predators.

Thanks Sue,I have Colombian Wyandottes. They have layer all winter before this year.
the only light difference is a motion activated light I hung off the coup thus fall. Egg production was already dropping before I added this light.
I saw a post This morning on YouTube that mentioned Dumor and Producers pride had deficiencies causing flocks to stop laying.
I know the folks on this site are passionate about their birds so if anyone knew if this was true you folks would.

Im just going to pay through the nose at my feed mill and buy thief food and see what happens.
thank you!!

Jay
Odd that I came across your post. I say that because earlier today my neighbor was complaining about the Producers Pride feed he bought from Tractor Supply, he said that his chickens are picking at it but aren't really eating it. He said he had bought it before without issue...he asked me to smell it. I didn't think it smelled moldy or off in any way. I gave him a bucket of my feed and his chickens gobbled it down.

Whether it's missing something or a bad batch, I'd go with a completely different brand of feed just to be on the safe side. Not sure where in Wisconsin you're located but I've found a good alternative to Tractor Supply and the local feed store is Farm & Fleet - prices are decent. :)

Odd that I came across your post. I say that because earlier today my neighbor was complaining about the Producers Pride feed he bought from Tractor Supply, he said that his chickens are picking at it but aren't really eating it. He said he had bought it before without issue...he asked me to smell it. I didn't think it smelled moldy or off in any way. I gave him a bucket of my feed and his chickens gobbled it down.

Whether it's missing something or a bad batch, I'd go with a completely different brand of feed just to be on the safe side. Not sure where in Wisconsin you're located but I've found a good alternative to Tractor Supply and the local feed store is Farm & Fleet - prices are decent. :)
What is the brand name of the feed that you give your chickens that your neighbors chickens gobble down. Perhaps I’ll get some of that.

What is the brand name of the feed that you give your chickens that your neighbors chickens gobble down. Perhaps I’ll get some of that.
I usually buy corn-free, soy-free New Country Organics Layer Feed but the last time I needed feed, my local feed store was out of my brand. So, I ventured on over to Farm & Fleet and bought some Kalmbach Organic Layer Pellets which, is what I gave to my neighbor.

If you happen to be on a budget Kalmbach does make non-organic feed, which runs about $10 or so cheaper than the organic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom