Tractor supply brands of feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I live in Wisconsin. I have a light , fresh water. They have access to the outside but stay in when it snows… the sky is fallin.. lol.

these hens are 2 years old.

I’ve had birds for decades and never have had this problem.
somthing has changed and I was wondering if it the food.
Im in Southeast Wisconsin. I have had birds all my life, in various places around the US. and never had a whole flock stop laying for this long. My hens will be three in a month, and they have not laid since right about Thanksgiving. All 6 went through molts at various times this winter. Ive even added supplemental light.

We have used Tractor supply brand in the past, but mostly I use Purina Oyster laying pellets. I also supplement with healthy treats/snacks. I guess we will see what happens when the daylight is longer

I have read that they are having problems sourcing a couple of essential ingredients. And they are having a direct impact on egg production.

I saw this link, also was posted on another part of BYC:

Basically the methionine and cysteine may not be present in the quantities as labeled due to supply chain issues.

I feed Nutrena Naturewise All Flock. Used to get it at TSC but found out my Rural King is $4 cheaper a bag! My girls have really slowed down the laying since we had the Christmas storm. I do have two girls molting but the others are free loading for now. Which I'm fine with because they didn't take a break last year. But even my light brahma hasn't laid well for months, she's the one making me mad. She hasn't read the manual on how light brahmas are supposed to lay well in the winter!😂

There was a big discussion on our local fb chicken group. Several of the chicken moms are convinced that the feed is lacking some of the nutrients that are supposed to be in the feed. I personally find it hard to believe but…no one in our fb group has contacted the company to ask…my girls are in their first year of laying but have stopped. I figured it was because of the shorter days and they have all just molted…I feed them the dunmor layer mash….
I feed Dumor 17% all flock. I had a set of Xmas LED lights for Dec and turned them off first week of Jan. Egg production did pick up through Dec. Presently I average 5 eggs a day out of 7 layers. Of the 2 remaining pullets not laying is an EE who is coming out of a mini-molt and another pullet that laid first egg at Xmas, none since.
I watched the You tube video but it’s all anecdotal reporting, no citing factual data showing missing nutrients. It’s plausible, mind you given shortages of raw materials in many manufactured products. However it hasn’t gained enough traction by USDA or other regulatory agencies to investigate or test. Why? Poultry are not dying from less egg production for one reason. Another is that low egg production can occur for so many reason. It will take an independent lab to do the testing, likely contracted by TSC as they will feel the sting the most.
What does the You Tuber with a microphone and a platform have to gain or lose by working with his State Ag or a University to do independent testing..? He will lose ‘clicks’ if the concern is resolved. He will gain clicks as more people spread the ‘I heard this guy say’ garbage.
Garbage? Yes, garbage, until there is factual proof its simply anecdotal, equivalent to finding humanoid turds in the forrest and concluding its Sasquatch droppings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom