Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the chicks from TS are healthy?

My store switched hatcheries two years ago and I'm told they've done very well with their current supplier here, Mt Healthy hatchery. People I know who buy chicks there have been very happy. Hth

Last edited:
I couldn't ask for better at the Swansea MA TS. The chickens I have bought from them are some of my best. Healthy!! Just because the store sells an item doesn't mean they need to be experts. Like if i go to walmart, and ask the cashier tell me everything you know about an obscure item they hardly ever carry

I couldn't ask for better at the Swansea MA TS. The chickens I have bought from them are some of my best. Healthy!! Just because the store sells an item doesn't mean they need to be experts. Like if i go to walmart, and ask the cashier tell me everything you know about an obscure item they hardly ever carry
I agree but also I would think that if a store like atwoods or TSC carries something like chicks they should have at least a few people be trained with basic stuff to know about them breed, how to sex them, and basic care. There will always be somebody to come in and ask questions and I think its bad for a employee of a store that carries chicks to respond with I don't know. Most big box stores are about pushing products and making money, so training somebody with knowledge on something to them is a waste or money but to me should be helpful and would make a sale.

I guess I got lucky at my local TSC with my chicks and with them being labeled, they also had a large pen around the chick bins, it looked like tall gate panels, and I didn't know where to enter from but the employee did, and the panels were far enough from the bins you could not reach them. If this chicks do well I will consider going back to TSC to get another batch when I want to raise more.

I agree but also I would think that if a store like atwoods or TSC carries something like chicks they should have at least a few people be trained with basic stuff to know about them breed, how to sex them, and basic care. There will always be somebody to come in and ask questions and I think its bad for a employee of a store that carries chicks to respond with I don't know. Most big box stores are about pushing products and making money, so training somebody with knowledge on something to them is a waste or money but to me should be helpful and would make a sale. 

I guess I got lucky at my local TSC with my chicks and with them being labeled, they also had a large pen around the chick bins, it looked like tall gate panels, and I didn't know where to enter from but the employee did, and the panels were far enough from the bins you could not reach them. If this chicks do well I will consider going back to TSC to get another batch when I want to raise more.

My tsc has the same setup and middle school aged kids were still reaching in and getting them. So aggravating! One little chick even got dropped, thankfully on the litter and not from very high, before an employee was in the area and they stopped. They carried one around and I'm pretty sure it went back into a different bin, so I hope ppl don't blame tsc if they get mixed up...except perhaps they should pay better attention to that part of the store during chick days! ;-)

Last edited:

Vent sexing, which the hatcheries do, is pretty specialized. It's also the reason they say it's 90-95% accurate. It's also dangerous for the chicks if not done right.....

Yes they should keep somebody close by or as people walk in kinda stay near more so with kids, as some parents think a store is there babysitter while the shop and just let there kids run around, me I keep my kids with me and the do not touch anything in a store. Glad that chick was ok, if I had saw it I would have said something knowing my temper with animals and being mistreated. All my animals are spoiled.

I was annoyed. I was very clear with my 4 year old not to try to touch them. He wondered why they were and wanted to also and I said they weren't supposed to and I think they got self conscious after that. Lol My DS was better behaved than they were @Dirtrider73068
;-)

Last edited:
Yep, depending on how many people they have working, I think it would be difficult to police the bins even if they put the gates around them. If kids are messing with the chicks, and the TSC people are helping other customers, things much worse than just mixing up the chicks could happen. I've always been very pleased with the chicks and help I've received there. I do order from hatcheries if I want specific breeds and can't get them at TSC, and I've had great luck with that too. Since we're pretty regular customers at our TSC, the people there have helped us with our horses, chickens, and dogs and have given us excellent advice. They're just really nice people, and if they don't know something, they're very honest about it. I couldn't be happier with our store.

i love my store in alex city alabama i only had one chick die but i think the others were picking on it. i went in today and told the store manager that i had one die and she told the lady working in that area it was okto replace it. i agree they dont really train all of the employees on the chicks but not all of them work with them. mine has 2 ppl that are knowledgeable about chickens and they raise chickens themselveswill defintly buy from them again

Back
Top Bottom