"Training" Rooster = Easy; Training People = Nigh Impossible

RedDrgn

Anachronistic Anomaly
11 Years
May 11, 2011
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Our NH cockerel is just shy of 9 months old, and we've had him for just shy of 5 months. He came to us with a penchant for attacking footwear (due to his previous environment/handling), but was otherwise pretty laid back and has been excellent with our ladies from the get-go.

So we worked with him on the shoe-thing, figured out what seemed to set him off, and he improved a lot on that front. As he settled in and we spent more time around him, we figured out his quirks and provocations and dealt with them all. So where we're at now is that he knows my DH and I and he knows our property boundaries and he respects both.

However, his courtesies absolutely do not extend to anyone else. Anyone (or thing, for that matter) crosses onto our property boundary within his sight and he'll squawk, flap, and start crowing. My DH and I understand what he's doing; "This is MY territory! GTFO!!!!" But we've had no luck impressing this upon anyone else, which is why we keep them all in the run when we know there will be company. But those times when friends/neighbors just show up has been a problem:

Scenario #1: Flock is free ranging and our arborist drops by to see how we're doing on splitting hauling a bunch of wood from a huge dead tree he recently took down. The flock is between us and him and Remy is crowing and flapping as soon as he steps out of his truck. I tell him to hang on and let me get the chickens put away, but he's a chicken fan who wants to start his own flock and says it's all good and starts towards me as I start towards him.

He gets within five feet of the flock and two of the girls run away from the flock to avoid him, putting him between them and Remy. Remy attacks and he fends him off (gently) with a foot as I come from behind, scoop the red fury up and shoosh them all into the run. Fortunately, he thought it was funny and admitted it was his fault for not listening to me and getting between Remy and his girls.

Scenario #2: Flock free ranging and our neighbor (and all good friend and ex-chicken rancher) starts heading across our mutual property boundary for a chat. Again, the flock is between us, though MUCH closer to him. I tell him to wait because Remy is already warning him, but he doesn't and soon had Remy attached to his leg. He fended him off (gently) with a stick all of the way over to me, and again, I scooped him up and put them all away. His comment was, "That's why I got out of chickens." Fortunately, he wasn't mad or injured, though did not accept fault and totally dismissed my recommended precautions with, "All roosters are a*******."

Scenario #3: Same neighbor, same situation, different time...almost made it. Until a hen ran and he ended up between Remy and her. Same ending.

Scenario #4: Sister in-law and husband visiting and insisting we let the chickens free range while we're all out in the yard. I explain exactly how they must behave (don't mess with the girls, don't be too loud, and don't approach them until Remy gets used to you, etc. etc.) if I do. They agree. I let them out. First thing in-law husband does is prance up to Remy (on purpose) and gets the crap flogged out of him...including almost getting his family jewels bit). Chickens get put away, not to be let out again.

Scenario #5: Neighbor's wife from #2 and #3, comes over and walks past the flock and no one bothers her. Remy watches and flaps, but no crowing or posturing or attack. Stunning! When she goes to return home, she's heading straight for the flock (which is widely spread). I tell her to go around them, not split them. She says it's fine. Remy starts walking towards her, I tell her to stop and head for him, she balks and keeps going saying, "I'm just ignoring him, he'll be fine!" He nails her from behind before I get there and I grab him and put them all away. She has the nerve to act annoyed.

WHY won't people listen????
barnie.gif
I can't be any more plain about it. Up until now, Remy hasn't had much in the way of spurs, but they are coming in and beginning to get their cone/spiked tips. He's currently 8lbs and when he hits you, he hits HARD. I don't want anyone to get hurt, so I've thought about keeping his spurs blunted. However, they are his best weapons and we do live in the woods and have plenty of roving dogs and cats, not to mention the local fauna. We're not ****** at him as he's doing his job (and doing it well, chicken-perspective wise), and none of it would have been an issue if all those involved had only listened to me. Ugh. What do you all think? My parents are coming this weekend (they've never met Remy before), but they're experienced dog trainers/caretakers and I'm pretty sure that if I couch how to treat Remy in the way you need to treat strange dogs, it'll be fine....IF I even let them out of the run all weekend.

Great stories! I am usually concise to laconic on here but I thought I'd (briefly) try to explain what seems like insane behaviour from your guests.

What some folks expect from any domesticated animal is that it is always under human control. "As if, " all us chicken people know. But there it is.

I've been at friends' houses who have animals that scratch/bite/growl etc. and mostly what I've thought is "WTH would you keep this animal?" A dog you can't go near, a cat that destroys everything, why? And, of course, there are very legit reasons why but as a guest, well, "Bring me my cocktail and tame yer pets" is what I'm thinking.

{I'm not saying that about your situation at all at all at alllll! I'm only trying to show why what appears to be "dumb" behaviour might not seem that way from the "dummies POV."}

OK, bring on the 167,598 comments about how stupid these people were etc.

your roo is just looking after his girls.you warn them and they don't listen.let them learn the the hard way.

I feel fairly comfortable around animals. Even ones Im not familiar with, which means I may not behave as cautiously as someone who isnt as comfortable around animals.

I have worked in the animal industry for years as well as growing up on a farm. I can read animal body language and clues pretty well between species, and I respect that an animal can turn at any minute without notice, or reason though usually they DO give clues and warnings, if you know how to recognize them. ANYTIME I encounter or approach an animal, and I or my children get bit, hurt, etc I NEVER hold it against the animal. They are usually acting purely on instincts. There would be certain scenarios where a certain behavior can actually be chalked up to a neglectful or inexperienced owner (moreso in the canine category) but is still nevertheless not the fault of the animal.

When I visit the homes of other pet owners, I do consider thier advice regarding the handling of thier animal seriously, and usually abide by them. Sometimes, I can tell by the behavior of the animal that the owner is dilusional or wrong about her assessment of certain behaviors but I do respect thier requests in most cases.

I love chickens, and am not afraid of a little flogging, but if you asked me to stay away so as not to upset your Roo, I would. Plain and simple!
Your friends/visitors clearly dont respect that request! So they deserve whats coming to them! LOL People are rude sometimes......

I happen to encounter this trouble with people DRIVING into my driveway while my dogs and I are outside. My dogs grew up in the city for the first half of thier lives, and arent great about avoiding tires/cars while in motion. The meter man, a neighbor, etc will come barelling into the driveway, even after seeing the dogs come romping over to the vehicle. I usually have to run over, arms waving, screeching at the top of my lungs "STOP STOP, there are dogs loose!" (Keep in mind they are indoor dogs, and are only out while supervised - we have a large property and we all roam it freely during the day, including the kids. I have managed to teach the kids to stay off the driveway, but not the dogs, LOL) The common reaction from said driver is usually "Oh they'll get out of the way!" or "I wont run em over, I can see them!" Well how in H-E-L-L would YOU know what MY dogs will do!! I love em, but thier boneheads, and I swear to you my two smaller dogs WILL weave under your car chasing the tires, and the bigger two will try to jump up on the vehicle while its moving to see who is inside. Trust me, I hate this behavior of thiers but they are products of my own creation so I cant fault them for it. We are working on it, LOL
Anyhow, it always irks me that this visitor assumes they have a handle on the situation even AFTER Ive warned them. And who would lose out.......Me, and my dogs, not him!

SO - I decided to post a sign at the entrance of the driveway, that says "DRIVE SLOW, KIDS AND DOGS AT PLAY" and hopefully that will deter them a little.
Maybe YOU should post a sign at the entrance of your driveway that says "FREE RANGING ROOSTER AT PLAY - PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!" or something, LOL Then at least you can say you warned people, before they even got out of the car! As for visitors on foot, well I should think getting pegged twice has taught your neighbor! LOL

Back
Top Bottom