Trashy dogs!

Had a conversation with the blissfully unaware dog owner. He had a beer in his hand so I am not thinking the conversation will go anywhere, but it is a start. I let him know what happened and we talked about other things ad well. I don't drink so I guess there wont be that many social interactions between us. I guess that is why I have chickens. I have 9 more days before my SFH eggs hatch. Now I seem to have plenty of room to put them. Thanks everybody, I needed the reassurance. You are all good people.

I have a neighbor who has three dogs. I grew up liking dogs until I got chickens. I have one dog that belongs to my baby girl that stays in my yard and she is well behaved in a contained area. The neighbors dogs however are allowed to roam at will and impregnate whoever they see fit. This past week they decided to have a little fun with my two best chickens and see if they could sling them around like rag dolls by their necks. The chickens had no choice but to play along. Unfortunately my wife and I were not there when this all happened. I could have condoned it if the dogs were hungry and needed a meal, but they left the chickens in the neighbors yard with the necks snapped. I ended up burying my poor hens and hating the neighbors dog. I guess when I rebuild the coop I will make it a Fort Knox of a coop, although as large as these pit bulls are, it may not make any difference in the long run. My neighbor is obviously blissfully unaware that he harbors such trashy animals on his property. My favorite Australorp and Red Sex Link RIP..:hit

We had two wandering dogs kill Henny Penny when she was taking a stroll. Animal control did take care of it. Vicious animals must be contained in most areas by law. I advise you to speak to your local law enforcement. Since you have done your part by telling your neighbor what happened, you don’t need to feel badly when the law must intervene.
We constructed a chicken run with cement footings and chain link to keep the girls safe and that has worked. good luck to you.

I guess it depends on what kind of neighbor you have, but I would consider letting them know what happened. They may care or may not, but you don't have any way of letting them make reparations if they don't know what their dogs did. Don't be angry, just have a conversation. I would also talk with local law enforcement about dogs running at large and your rights as a homeowner. Yes, you want to be a good neighbor and that goes both ways. Around here, if there's an issue and a fence is a solution both parties pay for half the fencing - that's the law. Best of luck, and do let us all know how it's going

This hurts my heart. I'm so sorry for you and your family having to go through this. It hurts for such a long time. But you are not alone believe me. 20 yrs. ago we had 12 wonderful girls. Doting and attentive. Wonderful girls! Then a police officer (no not even a nice cop!) and the family moved into the house by the road. About 1 acre away from my land. With them came a family "Drug sniffing police dog" {?? not!} After multiple efforts to ask, pled, threaten, beg him to control his dog and not let him run wild on my land, I was informed: "he can go where ever he wants He is a cop dog".....I am not a mean or evil person. How can you love a chicken and be mean? (Easy, I could have shot that dog and the human laughing at me, easy) So we wretched up our attention to the girls. From goat fencing to chain link. (I hated it. From my deck it looked like a prison yard.) All to no avail. Coming up the drive to the house (1/4 mi.) my eyes glued to the coop and run. Dead chickens and chicken parts and feathers all over the run and that awful dog riping up the remains of one IN THE RUN. We pull up, I'm screaming and that Good cop dog climbs up and over a 6 ft. chain link and runs back home to daddy. I'm distraught, husband calls the local police and there is nothing they can do. No rules about dogs killing chickens. "Anyway, he's a cop dog he can go and do whatever he wants, can't help you" That was it, I was done with chickens and humans and cops. You know, it's not the dogs' fault, it's the humans'! Dogs are what they are taught. Like kids, you are given a choice of how you teach. Good human or gang member. We got back into chickens again and we have 3 dogs. Everything is fine and all was taught well. We doing it again! Oh by the way. The cop family moved. He's in jail for domestic abuse. I'm glad there is a rule about that! Ps. One of our rescued dogs (10 wks old) is a Pit name Sam. Anything in the back I don't want like a dog, Sam pulls a bead and off the deck he flys. I call him off before he catches (he is remarkably smart and loves me. But he is a pit, he doesn't have free run of anywhere, I know) and we haven't had an issue in 4 yrs. What an awful experience for your family, My deepest sympathies.

Back
Top Bottom