Traumatized Chicken... maybe?

TOPChickens14

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
Northern New York
Hello guys. I have a 1 1/2 year old hen that has had ugly looking feathers for about 7 months. I've had her segregated in my house since about August. Today I decided I would put her back out, She always acts almost like I'm gonna kill her every time I try to pick her up. So once she let me catch her I set her down in the coop with my other 32 chickens and she was okay for about 5 minutes and then they wanted to have some mini pecking order fights and she flipped out! She ran from them and when was near a few chickens, she would either run under and go into a corner and immediately sit down or she would just stop under them and sit there. I brought her back in and need some advice, could she have some sort of brain trauma/injury that is causing her to pull her feathers and act so traumatized. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Since she has been separated for so long, they would naturally attack her as an outsider. Place her in a wire dog crate with food and water secured to the crate, and place it in the coop with the other birds for a minimum of a week. Then try some supervised free ranging in the yard. Let her back in the crate each night for awhile until they are tolerating her.

Since she has been separated for so long, they would naturally attack her as an outsider. Place her in a wire dog crate with food and water secured to the crate, and place it in the coop with the other birds for a minimum of a week. Then try some supervised free ranging in the yard. Let her back in the crate each night for awhile until they are tolerating her.
Thanks, I'll try that

If the temperature in the house is way different, you may need to gradually get her used to the cold weather again. Cold rooms, basement, garage may be places to put her to do that.

Back
Top Bottom