I did a google search for hours of daylight that Knoxville, TN is getting this time of year. It said, sun rises at about 7:42am and sets at 7pm; making for a daylight of 11 hours 18 minutes (and some odd seconds). This information suggests that they're not laying, or laying very sporadically, due to the light.

I do use a light in the coop during the shorter days, on a timer. It comes on at 4am and goes out at 8am every day. Of course there's food and water available when they wake up at 4am!
Next time use permethrin instead of carbaryl when you have to treat for mites or lice. Permethrin is approved for use on poultry, with no egg withdrawal period. Carbaryl is not approved for them any more at all.
It's done, you can't change it, just use a safer product next time.
Mary

Susanna, there are many things that will stop laying. Mites are one, stopped vents are another. worms can do it, Marecks (sp) disease (there are 4 strains and they are only inoculated against one at hatching).
Most of the time you will find one or more egg eaters in your flock. To prevent them, get a roll away nest box. I prefer best nest box but there are other brands. then you may see an increase.

My ladies had mites and Marecks this last fall and I am still getting them healthy. Never had that happen in 50 years of raising chickens. A clean run and coop is important.

For mites use crushed chilies in their food. you don't need pesticides. I did that and it didn't work. My daughter in law who is Shoshone told me about chilies in the food and after 2 weeks they are better, for worms a little apple cider vinegar and some crushed garlic in the water fixes that. for Marecks use nano silver in the water. (not colloidal silver)

Other than that make sure they have clean water, greens and bugs and they should be healthy.

Susanna, there are many things that will stop laying. Mites are one, stopped vents are another. worms can do it, Marecks (sp) disease (there are 4 strains and they are only inoculated against one at hatching).
Most of the time you will find one or more egg eaters in your flock. To prevent them, get a roll away nest box. I prefer best nest box but there are other brands. then you may see an increase.

My ladies had mites and Marecks this last fall and I am still getting them healthy. Never had that happen in 50 years of raising chickens. A clean run and coop is important.

For mites use crushed chilies in their food. you don't need pesticides. I did that and it didn't work. My daughter in law who is Shoshone told me about chilies in the food and after 2 weeks they are better, for worms a little apple cider vinegar and some crushed garlic in the water fixes that. for Marecks use nano silver in the water. (not colloidal silver)

Other than that make sure they have clean water, greens and bugs and they should be healthy.
This thread is a few years old, friend. If you need assistance with something, please create a thread for updated answers.

Back
Top Bottom