Treated wood and exterior paint

Exterior paint would be fine once it's fully cured.

I would not want to use treated lumber on anything the chickens touch...like roosts and nests and ramps.

Last edited:
the products used to 'treat' wood (Micronized Copper Azole) are not hazardous to you or your chickens and hasn't been in several decades, it's completely safe for use around animals as well as your raised bed gardens. back in the olden days arsenic was used and for some reason people can't seam to get past that and they continue spreading misinformation.

the products used to 'treat' wood (Micronized Copper Azole) are not hazardous to you or your chickens and hasn't been in several decades, it's completely safe for use around animals as well as your raised bed gardens. back in the olden days arsenic was used and for some reason people can't seam to get past that and they continue spreading misinformation.
Ehhh...less toxic, yes.......non toxic, I don't think so. I choose to keep it away from my food if at all possible.

I was going to ask the same thing. I am planning for my coop now and was thinking at least the floor should be treated. I am probably going to build a shed type coop that will probably not be elevated. While the plywood would not be directly on the floor the bottom will be pretty close to the ground. I also plan on DLM so they would not be constantly in contact with the treated surface. I was not planning on using any other treated lumber inside of the coop. Do most of you use something treated for a floor or not?

What was it treated with? Heat - perfectly safe. If it was treated with a "chemical" then I would find out which one and do some research on it before deciding if it's "safe". A good question to ask might be if the FDA has approved the chemical. (I prefer no chemicals myself, but my budget/time constraints might determine otherwise)

Back
Top Bottom