Treated wood and exterior paint

I choose that because many chemicals deemed 'safe' are much later found to be not so safe at all....like the first generation of PT.
chromated copper arsenate (or as you called it first gen PT) was proven by many many scientific studies to have minimal leeching even after 45 yrs and it's only real issues was if you burned it and inhaled the vapors, it was voluntarily replaced with micronized copper azole.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
What was it treated with? Heat - perfectly safe. If it was treated with a "chemical" then I would find out which one and do some research on it before deciding if it's "safe". A good question to ask might be if the FDA has approved the chemical. (I prefer no chemicals myself, but my budget/time constraints might determine otherwise)

erm.... just so you know you are a chemical too, anything that contains multiple type of atoms is called a chemical otherwise if it is a single type of atom then it is an element so "chemical" is a far reaching word.

@JetCat Life is tough. but Its tougher when You're stupid. ( not you )
Too many peeps are afraid of their own shadows. Here is my experience.
23 years ago I built a shed. I wanted it to last and not rot. I used ALL pressure treated wood on it. Floor is cement. Guess what ??????? it did not rot at all. Other items on grounds not made of treated lumber already rotted and crumbled.
I enter shed at will and only thing that happened to me during these 23 years. is
1. I became 23 years older.
gig.gif

2. I slightly gained weight....
lau.gif

Now lets look at what most decks are constructed of..
1. Cedar,, If you have the cash
2. Plastic recycled things that resemble boards.
3. Treated decking and railings. I see families with children enjoying their decks all over this nation. I also see seasoned citizens sitting around enjoying beverages and whatever else on their decks. I do not see warnings against using backyard decks. MUST NOT BE THAT DANGEROUS.

I use treated lumber for anything exposed to the elements with my chickens and we are all fine. I'm far more likely to die going down the road to the store then what teeny amount of any "chemicals" may get into my chickens and then into me. Way too much hype on that subject I believe. You can do like what was suggested go with cedar but that's big bucks, and if you don't use treated lumber or exterior paint where needed you will have spent a lot of money only to have to replace it in a very short amount of time so save yourself the time and money and go treated.

Last edited:
Im going to go all treated from the flood down. I will be placing vinyl on the floor and deep litter so the chicks won't be in direct contact with it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom