Treating upper respiratory infections

All my attempts to tube feed flopped. I didn't have the right tube from work.... then the two stores I walked in didn't have the powdered Kaytee stuff so I bought non med chick grower thinking I could blend up and liquefy. Nope, can't get it blended up enough to go thru even the NG tube I found tucked away from nursing school. Ugh. Poured the gruel into the birds food bowl and she is happily drinking it up. I think the hens higher power is telling me its up to her at this point aside from the inj I am giving her.

The 16 is a urinary cath.... I screwed up and didn't think to ask my coworker to grab a straight cath instead. The NG tube is a basic size, not 100% sure but a larger inner diameter than the 16. Its what it is for today... its 9:30pm here and I have a bunch of stuff to tend to tomorrow with my 3yo so really in no position to drive all over with him for tube supplies.

So my hen is still sneezing and sqwaky sounding but less and she CHOWS the mixture of food I've been giving her. I read tho that IF this is one of three respiratory bacterias she'll be a carrier forever and at anytime could pass this to any of my flock?
In all seriousness when folks believe a chicken has a respiratory illness does it just make most sense to cull? Less stress to hen, less time and energy to owner, less risk to the remaining flock? Also after recieving this antibiotic what's the withdrawal time on eggs or is she forever tainted?

@casportpony , Kathy would you be willing to put your input in here? And possibly tagging others who you think might have experience with respiratory issues...

Some people would cull, others would not. You're treating with Tylan, which is good for treating mycoplasma or enteritis, but it will not treat E. coli or pseudomonas, for those you need an antibiotic with good gram negative coverage.

What are all her symptoms now?

-Kathy

Similar to before. Sneezy, sqwaky voice but eating a ton. I think I just have to cull. I'll ask on a fb chicken group and see what others have to say.... I just don't have it in me to keep doing all this if she is just going to be a risk to the rest of my flock. I am not looking for her to be an indoor hen. Thank you for speaking up. I won't go to a vet as the walkin charge is $75 right off the bat.

Similar to before. Sneezy, sqwaky voice but eating a ton. I think I just have to cull. I'll ask on a fb chicken group and see what others have to say.... I just don't have it in me to keep doing all this if she is just going to be a risk to the rest of my flock. I am not looking for her to be an indoor hen. Thank you for speaking up. I won't go to a vet as the walkin charge is $75 right off the bat.

If you do decide to cull her, look into having a necropsy done, or do one yourself. Gapeworms could also cause the symptoms you're seeing, but it seems to be less common in chickens.

-Kathy

I did cull her and so glad I did.... As I raised her to put into my cone fluid/mucus came out of her mouth. I pondered the gape worms but while she stood upright she never showed that telltale look of them. I honestly think she had pneumonia. Over the course of today she was sneezing out drainage from her nose that was collecting on the sides of her beak and it was bloody. Poor girl was drowning in her own fluids. Bleh. At least she died with a full belly. Thanks for all your help @casportpony Kathy.

I always use intramuscular injectable antibiotics to get things started and then finish off with duramycin water soluble powder. I only treat for a maximum of 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom