Treatment for Foamy Eye Goose?

IHaveAGoose

Hatching
Jul 25, 2023
Last Friday I noticed my male goose (~5 years old) had 'bubbles' in the corner of both eyes. I changed his waters incase something somehow got in it but it's still persisted, I see it most in the mornings.

He's still eating and doing everything normally, it's just the foamy eyes. He's never had it before, nothings changed in his environment but I did dust his bedding for mites as the cat had them but that was weeks ago and I've changed his bedding multiple times since then.

I have him booked at the exotics vet but there is a bit of a wait (almost 2 weeks), I want to give him something to just take the edge off/lessen irritation as I can only imagine how bubbles in your eyes feels.

The fodder shop suggested Ionic Silver, flush his eye out with it. I've never used it and am apprehensive of spraying random stuff in animals eyes. I'm after some pointers here, I don't want to make him worse.

Last Friday I noticed my male goose (~5 years old) had 'bubbles' in the corner of both eyes. I changed his waters incase something somehow got in it but it's still persisted, I see it most in the mornings.

He's still eating and doing everything normally, it's just the foamy eyes. He's never had it before, nothings changed in his environment but I did dust his bedding for mites as the cat had them but that was weeks ago and I've changed his bedding multiple times since then.

I have him booked at the exotics vet but there is a bit of a wait (almost 2 weeks), I want to give him something to just take the edge off/lessen irritation as I can only imagine how bubbles in your eyes feels.

The fodder shop suggested Ionic Silver, flush his eye out with it. I've never used it and am apprehensive of spraying random stuff in animals eyes. I'm after some pointers here, I don't want to make him worse.
That is a respiratory infection called Mycoplasma Gallisepticum or 'Bubble Eye'.

Chinese Skullcap if you're going herbal, Oxytetracycline if you're going pharmaceutical. Metronidazole is a sure cure, but it's not for use in animals intended for consumption or their eggs.

I would try Tylosin (Tylan) in case it is mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease common in all poultry. You can get that from Jedds.com online to treat in the drinking water. I would also clean the eyes with saline or eye wash, and use a small dab of plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment found in feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom