Trip to feed store leads to political arguement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting thing about politics is that reasonable people can look at the issues, look at the facts and reach completely different points and policies. I don't mind the reasonable people, they are fun to talk to, and you often learn something. It is the unreasonable people who bother me. Those who never look beyond a simple answer, a talking point or an opinion. Tax and spend liberals and rich fat cat republicans are not reasonable positions, they are simply unexamined opinions.

I've have several good discussions with a neighbor on politics. It is as much fun to see the points we agree on (Tom Delay is a weasel) and those we differ on (the war in Iraq). He is informed, bright, and well reasoned, and moreover, not a demagogue. I learn from him and he from me; yet, I would never consider voting for his candidate or he for mine.

My Granny always said,"Never talk religion or politics at the feed store."
She was a smart lady.

Their are people on both sides that are idiots. I find that there are fewer of them but they're the loudest.
And I see nothing wrong with telling someone how to vote and why, there's a differences between talking to someone and hounding someone.
I may not like what you're saying but I served and risked my life and would again to defend your right to say it.

pop.gif
Thank you for your service to our country.

I wish that more of us would always remember the sacrifices that you and other veterans have made on our behalf as well as the women who were jailed and force fed with tubes to give us all the right to vote.

Every American should vote his or her conscience, and should respect the rights of every other American to do the same -- if their vote matches or mismatches our own vote. It is their right. People engaging in political discourse and stating their views is part of democracy and free speech. Calling people idiots for their views...maybe not so productive either way.

My sympathies to everyone in a "battleground" state. This election will exceed any previous election in political advertising. I bet y'all are being bombarded.

You cant go around in public spouting off about politics and not expect a response...if it bothered you so much don't yell across the store next time so everyone hears you.

I don't see why not... I hear people spouting off about all kinds of stupid things and I don't feel the need to put my 2 cents in every time I hear nonsense or an opposing opinion. I kind of think people who feel like they have to address other people that they disagree with all the time need to stop and think about why they think they are in charge of "correcting" or "contradicting" other people? I sure as heck don't think it's my job to get in people's faces over their opinions in public, even if I think they are wrong.... I don't understand other people who cannot let other people alone. If I am not part of someone else's conversation, even if they are loud enough for me to overhear them, I do not think I have some automatic right to "butt in" with my opinion.

hemet dennis,
Used to be people (i.e. women) used to make most or all of their family's clothes. After WWII the off-the-rack habit got stronger along with general consumerism, and we became less self-reliant. Plus, more women were going to work (during the war) and had less time to make clothes. And, being able to buy clothes was the height of luxury that showed you had "arrived" financially, even if you were just working class or middle class.

Now we not only don't want to make our own clothes, we want to be able to buy them cheaply. Cheap, crappy-made clothes that fall apart or wear out quickly, but that's fine because fashion is fickle! There was a time when you had one or (if you were lucky) maybe two complete outfits, one or two pairs of shoes, and you wore them till they wore out. Now we have "Imelda Marcos" closets filled with cheapo crappy imported clothing. I would rather spend 15 bucks on a shirt made by well-treated, fairly paid workers in the USA, and have it be of good workmanship and quality fabric, and have it wear like iron, and only have a week's worth that I keep rotating until they need replacement. That's preferable to me than buying crappy stuff cheap from a distant overseas factory that abuses and underpays its workers.

Just a comment on shipping jobs overseas... most of the jobs that are shipped over seas are jobs that obviously were too costly to have done here and were really minimum wage/no skill positions and quite frankly are not family wage jobs anymore as determined by the marketplace. Now we are trying to figure out what thoe people are going to do as they have no skills or desire to get retrained. They just take a look at what the government can provide and decide that working is not the best route for themselves. This is the problem,It is not trying to bring back jobs that nobody is willing to do for the wages offered for those type of jobs. Our next big spiral is going to be the debate over student loans and the inability of students to pay them back and get a job capable of paying them back at a realistic rate. I hope I am wrong but it sure is looking that way.

Quote: Tell that to all the people who used to build the axles for Ford, Dodge, and Jeep here, before they shipped those jobs to Mexico.

Tell those machinists, welders, engineers, supervisors and maintenance people they had "no skills"

In my little town in Missouri there used to be a factory that made the uniforms for prison inmates. The uniforms are still being made, but now they are hecho in Mexico. There was also a plant in Arkansas that made shirts for WalMart. I don't know where the shirts are being made now, but it's not in Arkansas and it's not in the USA. Many of the people who worked in those plants found other jobs, but many did not. BTW, these plants closed up before Obama took office so he can't be blamed for that. My sister works for IBM, and she told me about hi tech jobs from there being shipped overseas.

There are plenty of jobs. They just got shipped out of the country. People in India and Mexico are benefiting. Our workers are paying the price for corporate greed and irresponsibility.

Oh, it isn’t a case of “corporate greed”. The greed part comes from investors who expect an ever increasing profit on their investments. Those greedy investors are mostly those of us who rely on a company pension, or invest in mutual stocks. A company’s CEO will do anything he or she can to meet those demands. I suspect you would do the same if you were in their position – that is, if you wanted to keep your job.
We live in a time of our history where our economy is global. A huge disparity between living standards exists between countries. It seems to me that we are experiencing an equalizing process. We happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time; so it is up to us to make some adjustments – like redefining things like wealth and living standards, and the quality of living. We are in need of a new cultural paradigm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom