Trip to feed store leads to political arguement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad that this story had a happy ending - of sorts.  

Your neighbor's behavior is so 'Texas' IMO - Your directness may have given him food for thought. He sounds rather curmudgeonly - but still someone who cares about people and about his neighbor.   I'm glad that you posted this - 
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read it. Being a native of the state, I have just such discussions with neighbors from time to time. We disagree but don't insult each other's intelligence. Then we agree that we disagree and keep on helping each other out when needed.

Just because I don't agree with someone's politics or religion doesn't make them a bad person, it just means that's one area we don't have in common. So what?

Last edited:
I had a news paper reporter stop me in 08 outside the polls and asked me some questions and she asked me whom I voted for I told her it was between me and God and she shut up, everything I told her went to print but the last comment. I guess God is Taboo not political stances at least in the newspaper game.

Yep... the media in general steers clear of God. If they fully quoted you, they would run the risk of offending people with different religious beliefs- running the risk of losing business.

Media is motivated by one object.... money. Good morals, honesty and integrity do not sell newspaper. Scandals, riff and tendon does. Ever heard of someone coming to work a little late and exhausted from changing a flat tire only to make a comment about being blessed that the other THREE tires did NOT give him/ her grief... didn't think so. That's just human nature.

Last edited:
Quote: They fight an die to protect your right to not vote an your right to protest too. They fight an die to protect our right to vote or not vote as we chose.

Besides, for every person that refuses to vote, my vote becomes that much more powerful. Remember the "get out the vote" junk is not about your rights, it is about watering down the informed voters votes with votes from people that will vote the way the media wants them too.

Last edited:
I thought this explained tax cuts good

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100 and if they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing. The fifth would
...pay $1. The sixth would pay $3. The seventh would pay $7. The eighth would pay $12. The ninth would pay $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.)

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20." So drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free...but what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his ‘fair share’? They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings). The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings). The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings). The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings). The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings). The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before...and the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man," but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

pop.gif

My sympathy to you....... I actually did have lunch with an undecided voter today who hasn't decided for whom to vote...but they know who they aren't going to vote for...(kind of like knowing who you are going to vote for if you vote a major party.... Oh well). That is the voter they are trying to get with all the commercials.

I also agree that most folks by now have made up their mind if they are going to vote, for whom they will cast their ballot. Your point is good about if the amount of money had been directed elsewhere than commercials.

And then we haven't had 'the October surprise' yet --- have we? So just think it will get worse before it gets better....and then the election will be past tense. Hang in there for a few more weeks......

I came across a letter written by my grandmother during WWII - she was saying the same election-weary thing back in the 1940's. It will be good when it is over with.

You're right about it getting worse before it gets better. Romney will be here on Sunday. And I just read that Obama AND Bill Clinton will be here on Monday. A political Double-Header.
barnie.gif

Sunday isn't so bad because I can avoid going to that area but they've not yet released where Obama will be on Monday. Last election Obama came the night before the election and they closed roads without telling us in advance. I was trying to pick up my daughter but she was on the other side of the roadblock and they wouldn't let me through! I had to park in a grocery store parking lot miles away while she caught a ride from someone also inside the roadblock to get to me. Then we couldn't get home! Had to take back roads that went way out of our way to finally get home.

I'm sure there are undecided people somewhere but it's hard to find one around here after having the election crammed down our throats 24/7. We are collectively DONE with the whole thing and wish we could vote TODAY so we can get our lives back!

I thought this explained tax cuts good
Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100 and if they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this: The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing. The fifth would ...pay $1. The sixth would pay $3. The seventh would pay $7. The eighth would pay $12. The ninth would pay $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.)

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20." So drinks for the ten now cost just $80. The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free...but what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his ‘fair share’? They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so: The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings). The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings). The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings). The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings). The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings). The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings). Each of the six was better off than before...and the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man," but he got $10!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!" "That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!" "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill! And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier. :pop
:goodpost:

Hang in there a few more weeks. It is how our democracy works.

It is exciting to see a candidate or a president first hand, up close and 'personal' (from a crowd of thousands smooshed together and far, far away on a stage actually, or in a shopping mall, etc)...but it is also so grueling. It is like a mob scene....and that doesn't include the traffic snarls.

This seems like the longest election ever....and the minute one election ends.... the campaign for the next one begins. It has become 'big business'.

In some ways it is worrisome that you and your child could be separated by things like road blocks, because that could be problematic in this day and age. Hope the candidates going through this pass won't cause as much headache for you.

ETA - you get a better view from TV lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom