True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
View attachment 1201856 View attachment 1201857 I have 2 WTB, Tiffany & Baby, from McMurray Hatchery(had three but one died). They are 7 months old and lay a lovely blue egg. It’s not overly blue as it is the exact same blue as an EE I adopted. They lay almost every day and their eggs have grown in size faster than any of my other layers (they are almost hard to tell the difference between my EE & their eggs already and the EE is two years old) They are not overly friendly, but not super skittish. Their is no rhyme or reason to what the birds actually look like as far as feathering, but I am well pleased with having them in my flock :)
:goodpost::clapyour WTB sound very interesting , would love to see the color of the eggs, & egg size is what ..? but really they are still young to know what their egg color & size will be as full grown adults .but they do sound very interesting indeed so please keep us posted..!!:thumbsup:woot:highfive:

My WTB, along with all of my other June chicks, started layinglast week. The eggs are a light blue, maybe even blue/green. They're all pretty small right now but getting a little bigger each day. I may have 2 WTB's, I found 4 blue eggs in about a 30 hour time span.

Attachments

• received_1815908048482404.jpeg
    received_1815908048482404.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20171215_171936.jpg
    20171215_171936.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 50
42A7AAD5-8A36-49E2-93A7-DDCDAFB35227.jpeg
The two on the right are my WTB and they weigh 2.3 oz & 1.9 oz. (they are only 8 months old)They are almost exactly the same color as my EE which is the left one(it is 2.3 oz as well). My EE is about 2 years old, but not sure(she just showed up outside my coop last fall lol). I’m really surprised at how quickly the WTB eggs have increased in size so quickly so that’s a big plus in my book:) They are a really nice blue, but I couldn’t get the colors to show as well as real life even though I went outside for the pic :/

With mine, the WTB eggs are as big as my FBCM eggs and the whitings eat far less feed as they are 1/2 the size.
were did you get your WTB..? and are they a breed..? or a cross..? can they fly to escape..? :D how many eggs a week..? :thumbsup:highfive: also do you or any one , who knows about the Sapphires..? i believe they are cross of a cream leg bar roo X a white leg horn hen, but thats all i know , just needed egg & temperament info on both the WTB & Sapphires :thumbsup:highfive: THANKS

I am very fortunate to live in the same area as Dr. Whiting and his hatchery, so was able to get nearly all of my stock directly from Dr. Whiting's hatchery this past summer. We have ~160 of his birds, 50 of which are Whiting True Blues. I love them - they are a funny, motley crew of mixed colors, beards/no beards, and single/pea combs. They have a really wide range of personalities. I have a few that are pretty flighty (two are almost untouchable), but most are quite friendly. Many of them became really friendly when they came into lay. I have one WTB hen, the aptly named Cuddles, who is the friendliest hen I've ever seen. She will run from across the yard to jump in anyone's lap who sits down (and snuggle in for a nap).

They definitely have a few different breeds in their genetics, but they breed true for blue to blue/green eggs. I've been really pleased with my egg colors; important for us because we are marketing our Rainbow Dozens. The blue eggs in my avatar are from the WTB. Here's a pic of a nice blue WTB egg next to one of the Welsummer and Whiting greens, another specialty of Dr. Whiting's.
WTBWelsummerWTG.jpg
So far, the eggs have been small to medium but they are rapidly increasing in size, and should reach a medium to large consistently. They are a lot better layers than my original EE hens were at this age.

My birds were sexed but I did end up with three very beautiful roos. They aren't particularly friendly, but no aggression issues, they don't fight each other, and they do a really wonderful job watching out for the many hawks we have here.

I believe McMurray stocks WTB - not sure of their quality or consistency vs getting them direct from the source.

Here's one of our young roos, Rico Suave.

DSC_0071.JPG

Oh, I also meant to say - they can and do fly! Several of mine roost in the rafters of our barn, about 14' up. When they were younger they would fly over their 6' fence when they were in a smaller pen. Now they are content with their larger space and stay in their 48" poultry netting.

I am very fortunate to live in the same area as Dr. Whiting and his hatchery, so was able to get nearly all of my stock directly from Dr. Whiting's hatchery this past summer. We have ~160 of his birds, 50 of which are Whiting True Blues. I love them - they are a funny, motley crew of mixed colors, beards/no beards, and single/pea combs. They have a really wide range of personalities. I have a few that are pretty flighty (two are almost untouchable), but most are quite friendly. Many of them became really friendly when they came into lay. I have one WTB hen, the aptly named Cuddles, who is the friendliest hen I've ever seen. She will run from across the yard to jump in anyone's lap who sits down (and snuggle in for a nap).

They definitely have a few different breeds in their genetics, but they breed true for blue to blue/green eggs. I've been really pleased with my egg colors; important for us because we are marketing our Rainbow Dozens. The blue eggs in my avatar are from the WTB. Here's a pic of a nice blue WTB egg next to one of the Welsummer and Whiting greens, another specialty of Dr. Whiting's.
View attachment 1233633
So far, the eggs have been small to medium but they are rapidly increasing in size, and should reach a medium to large consistently. They are a lot better layers than my original EE hens were at this age.

My birds were sexed but I did end up with three very beautiful roos. They aren't particularly friendly, but no aggression issues, they don't fight each other, and they do a really wonderful job watching out for the many hawks we have here.

I believe McMurray stocks WTB - not sure of their quality or consistency vs getting them direct from the source.

Here's one of our young roos, Rico Suave.

View attachment 1233634
:goodpost: excellent..!! THANKS :clap WOW you are sooooo lucky to be able to get your stock directly from Dr. Whiting's hatchery...!!! WOW thats truly fantastic...! :yesss: and what do you do with 160+ birds sell the eggs...? I guess...? i have an egg business here in Bisbee AZ , but i only have half that amount of birds then you do , since its only me here all alone after my Dear Husband passed away last year , and so its all up to me now to keep our 75 birds, and so that is about my limit, but wow thanks for all your help...!!! :woot & its so nice to meet you , have a good one, take care.!!:thumbsup :highfive: :frow

Back
Top Bottom