Trying to breed Cream Legbars with a cream crest.

ChickenLoverz123

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
All of my Legbar hens have a black crest. Does anybody know how to breed that out? I am wanting my hens to have cream crests but I don't know where to start.

As with any breeding program, hatch as many chicks as possible,
Select the birds you want to raise and cull the rest. That is the way it is done.

Could I even get any with cream crests if all my hens have black crests? I actually have one with a cream crest but she came from someone that didn't focus on the SOP as much. The ones with the black crests are from a great breeder. I will try to take a picture of her and ask if she is to/close to the standard.

Okay here she is. What do y’all think? Is she okay? I know she has more of a tan/brown color than cream on her hackles. Should I use her for breeding to get more cream crested offspring? @GaryDean26
B51D6CDC-B85C-4CB3-88B9-C03313FB96B6.jpeg

4B6F306A-EFD1-483C-88A3-8CD87D3E8A09.jpeg

2DCBDAC4-E06D-4747-AB3A-16F377A4C3B4.jpeg

I've grown to hate the cream gene as it applies to Legbars. There's just so much variability. It sounds like your birds are over-melanized... what is your idea of what a "cream" crest shade would be? Can you find an example of an ideal you're working towards? Generally, I'd say just breed your lightest hen to your lightest cock to start eliminating over melanization.

Frankly, looking at the photos you posted I'd totally forget about crest (which are all curiously small) and color entirely and focus on improving type, first.
Yes I don’t like her type, but I wanted more of an expert opinion. She isn’t the best like I said she came from someone who didn’t care about SOP basically a hatchery. But a very small one. Yes the crests are small but actually the offspring of these birds have a really poofy big crest. So I am not worried about them not having a big crest.
Here is a picture of what I want all my hens to look like. It will definitely take years and years of breeding but she is the goal I am breeding towards.

908020FC-9565-4751-8C7E-C4F30446E95B.jpeg

Also all my breeder quality hens are all the same darkness. I will just use the lighter cock but he has less of a crest than the other roo.

Also if anybody knows of a breeder that sells hatching eggs that breeds Cream Legbars like the bird I showed above I would be interested.

Back
Top Bottom