Trying to figure out cause of death

zooinmypocket

Songster
5 Years
Aug 21, 2016
California
Hello, I have had two roosters die this year in the same way, but they never met. Both roosters were hatched and raised in my yard by broody hens. The first rooster was unexpected and short. He was already over a year old and had his own flock. One day he was normal and the next he became very pale, lethargic, and had diarrhea. But he continued to follow his ladies, eat and drink normally. He died in his sleep within two days of turning pale. No one else became sick, we cleaned thoroughly and dewormed just in case. He was our favorite rooster and so we put and handful of his hen's eggs in the incubator and had a broody hen finish up the hatching and raising. All his chicks hatched. One of his sons was four months old when he became pale, lethargic, and had diarrhea, but continued to eat, drink, and follow his sisters. We brought him, and a few of his sisters to keep him company, inside. He lasted for a week where we thought he was getting better, his color got better( it became more red at the points and the day before he died it became almost purple, but not quite) , and his diarrhea started to become more solid. But then he became very limp one morning when we checked on him and he died within the hour. I was wondering if anyone had any advice going forward as the original rooster had 6 total offspring that I still have. Today I am going to do a thorough cleaning and give dewormer.

Hello, I have had two roosters die this year in the same way, but they never met. Both roosters were hatched and raised in my yard by broody hens. The first rooster was unexpected and short. He was already over a year old and had his own flock. One day he was normal and the next he became very pale, lethargic, and had diarrhea. But he continued to follow his ladies, eat and drink normally. He died in his sleep within two days of turning pale. No one else became sick, we cleaned thoroughly and dewormed just in case. He was our favorite rooster and so we put and handful of his hen's eggs in the incubator and had a broody hen finish up the hatching and raising. All his chicks hatched. One of his sons was four months old when he became pale, lethargic, and had diarrhea, but continued to eat, drink, and follow his sisters. We brought him, and a few of his sisters to keep him company, inside. He lasted for a week where we thought he was getting better, his color got better( it became more red at the points and the day before he died it became almost purple, but not quite) , and his diarrhea started to become more solid. But then he became very limp one morning when we checked on him and he died within the hour. I was wondering if anyone had any advice going forward as the original rooster had 6 total offspring that I still have. Today I am going to do a thorough cleaning and give dewormer.
If you need to know for sure, the only possibility is a necropsy and lab work. In CA, they are free or cheap.

California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory

University of California, School of Veterinary Med

620 West Health Science Drive

Davis, California 95616

Phone: 530-752-8709

They have labs all over the state.

If you need to know for sure, the only possibility is a necropsy and lab work. In CA, they are free or cheap.

California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory

University of California, School of Veterinary Med

620 West Health Science Drive

Davis, California 95616

Phone: 530-752-8709

They have labs all over the state.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom