Trying to find right feed!

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
I can’t seem to find a feed that is just right for us! I’m looking for organic feed that the boys can also eat, and that is not small crumbles /mash….and that resembles what a natural diet would be for them. And on-line ordering too 😆. I have 9 girls - the 4 youngest are now coming up to laying age so I’m figuring they can start on layer feed now even though they’re not laying yet (they much prefer the layer feed to their grower) - one rooster, and one cockerel (around 4 and a half months like the girls). The boys sleep inside the house so I let the girls have layer feed from wake up time to around 8am when I let the boys out, when I then remove it. I use Scratch and Peck layer feed and they love it (the boys would eat it too if I let them). During the day I have oyster shells out, and Grubblies grower crumbles. Nobody is keen on the crumbles…they’ll eat them but it’s too powdery and I get a lot of waste. Mash is not an option either as they seem to resent anything slightly sticky on their beaks.I tried the Scratch and Peck starter/grower but again it’s too fine. I’m really looking for something like the layer feed I have, but all flock.They do free range a fair bit, and they have an in-run compost heap they enjoy picking through. I never see anyone touch the oyster shells. Many thanks!

^ good, practical advice above.

Most people who stock DuMor do not stock the organic (which appears to be important to you) apart from DuMor's "Starter". DuMor isn't generally marketed heavily in the "premium/superpremium" space, it isn't even intended to compete with Purina, who appears to supply it. The only reason TSC carries DuMor organic starter is because they feed all their chicks organic on arrival until purchase, so they can be sold to those who want to main organic flocks, and its the cheapest of the common (Purina, Nutrena, Kreamer [Nature's best], etc) options in that marketing space.

Are you soaking the Scratch snd Peck? Scratch and Peck is a whole grain feed that needs to be fermented or soaked. The reason they probably prefer it is because they are picking out their favorite bits and wasting the rest. Then nobody is getting balanced nutrition snd your setting up for fatty liver disease. I love Scratch and Peck. It works great for my flock. I have 11 ducks and 20+ hens who all eat the starter. I ferment or soak it depending on time of year. If it’s soaked I bet your floofers won’t care how fine it is. If you continue feed S&P you should be fermenting or soaking it. If your still concerned about texture, S&P has a grower that is much courser. I use both depending on what is available.

I will give it a go in that case! The younger ones are less fussy, but the older girls are incredibly picky...but maybe watching them will encourage them to join in! Many thanks.
No problem, happy to help. They would t starve themselves. Just don’t give any other feed or treats until they eat it without any issues.

Oh yikes, no I have not been soaking it...and yes they probably do pick out their favorite bits. What texture is it after soaking? They seem to really hate anything moist or sticky on their beaks, I swear I have the fussiest chickens out there 😆
It’s a mash, almost gelatinous. Yes, it’s common for birds not to like the new texture. But if you replace all the dry feed e we ugh it, they adjust overtime. It took mine a couple days to be eating it without a problem. My ducks complained for sure.

Are you soaking the Scratch snd Peck? Scratch and Peck is a whole grain feed that needs to be fermented or soaked. The reason they probably prefer it is because they are picking out their favorite bits and wasting the rest. Then nobody is getting balanced nutrition snd your setting up for fatty liver disease. I love Scratch and Peck. It works great for my flock. I have 11 ducks and 20+ hens who all eat the starter. I ferment or soak it depending on time of year. If it’s soaked I bet your floofers won’t care how fine it is. If you continue feed S&P you should be fermenting or soaking it. If your still concerned about texture, S&P has a grower that is much courser. I use both depending on what is available.
Oh yikes, no I have not been soaking it...and yes they probably do pick out their favorite bits. What texture is it after soaking? They seem to really hate anything moist or sticky on their beaks, I swear I have the fussiest chickens out there 😆

It’s a mash, almost gelatinous. Yes, it’s common for birds not to like the new texture. But if you replace all the dry feed e we ugh it, they adjust overtime. It took mine a couple days to be eating it without a problem. My ducks complained for sure.
I will give it a go in that case! The younger ones are less fussy, but the older girls are incredibly picky...but maybe watching them will encourage them to join in! Many thanks.

^ good, practical advice above.

Most people who stock DuMor do not stock the organic (which appears to be important to you) apart from DuMor's "Starter". DuMor isn't generally marketed heavily in the "premium/superpremium" space, it isn't even intended to compete with Purina, who appears to supply it. The only reason TSC carries DuMor organic starter is because they feed all their chicks organic on arrival until purchase, so they can be sold to those who want to main organic flocks, and its the cheapest of the common (Purina, Nutrena, Kreamer [Nature's best], etc) options in that marketing space.
I'm sure the Dumor organic is common. My local store uses Purina organic.

I did have a brand of layer feed once that they LOVED so I set in a stash of it ( 80#!) and now they hate it!!! So I put 1/3 of it 1/3 all flock 1/3 chick starter in my pan to make " wet mash" out of and they ate it. At this rate I might be able to get rid of it by 2033! Lol I've really thought about bagging it up and tossing out!
And yes sometimes they are crafty, clever, but you still have a better brain by far ❤️
that is kind of you to say (but I have daily evidence to the contrary)...

about an hour ago my spouse was making a sandwich and wanted lettuce...
he asked if we have any...

I said no...
(not trusting me) he looked in the fridge and there were 3 heads of lettuce...
he asked why I had told him there was none...

I said, "oh, that isn't our lettuce, that is the ducks' lettuce"...
he gave me a dirty look and took lettuce, and made the sandwiches.
I told him "better make sure the ducks don't find out you are eating their lettuce, they'll start asking for part of your sandwiches"

Back
Top Bottom