TSC Brooder Kit - DON'T Bother!

I bought all my stuff at orschelns. I got a plastic mason jar sized feeder and waterer (plastic) plus a 5lb bag of chick crumbles, a bag of pine bedding 2.3 cubic feet compressed (HUGE), and 3 pullet chicks (2 RIR 1 SLW) for $23. That makes that look like a pretty crappy deal indeed. The box to bring my chicks home in was free.

hu.gif
some of us have to deal with the farm stores we have around us and the stock they have available so the TSC starter kit was the right fit at the right time and what i used the cardboard for was to wrap around the washtub to keep the drafts off and i've used it for a little playpen outside now that our local co-op has opened their new store i have a cheaper place to buy their bedding and i found a local feed store that may be willing to customer make feed for me it just depends on what their min order is. i have to drive over an hour if i want to go to a farm store that has a decent selection of chicken gear.

Quote:
If you haven't used it and you have your receipt, then take it back. Then buy the sizes you want. I don't think they would mind.

we bought one and I use the box to put the chicks in when cleaning the brooder...I used the ribbed cardboard and cut a piece of it to fit inside our brooder(which is a large dog kennel/cage) and the feeders are nice for when I need to isolate one or two...and they held up fine for the chicks. We have pretty much gotten our use out of all of it...not gonna say it was worth 19.99....but we have definitely used it.

We got this when we got our chicks.

I used the cardboard brooder pin to hold them till DH got home with a nice cardboard box, that I have since added to another box and that is where they are now, 2'x4'.

So now we use the cardboard roll to take them out into the yard(like a little playpen) and let the kids sit at their level and socalize.

The little feeder and waterer fit nice inside the brooder and will be replaced when we move them to their coop.

The food didn't last long, but the kit did what it said, it got us started.
We have never had chicks before.

If we buy chicks in the future we wouldn't bother with it.

The coupons I will most likely use are for poultry wire($5off), and feed($2 off).
I don't feel ripped off, we have used everything in the box

We bought that too and I guess for $20 it's been worth it for us. I mean we are still using the feeder and waterer for out 5 chicks and they work just fine. We aren't using the box as our brooder b/c I don't use cardboard boxes but I wasn't ever planning on using it for that any ways. We use it to transport any animals that need transporting. It comes in hand with the rabbits, chickens, quail, and the ducks. The roll of cardboard is a joke but really I guess all in all it's been useful for us, and the starter feed lasted us over a week with our bantams.

We bought it and I still use some of it. I like the feeders, even if they are cheap. The feeder itself lost it's divider ring while I was trying to tear it apart and clean it (they were using it as a perch and pooped in it), but it's still functioning. I like to use them when one dish isn't enough or when I have to make yet another brooder - I have enough feeders and waterers for 4 brooders and the larger 30lb/5gal feder/waterer is in the coop. I use the box for cleaning and switching chickens in/out of the brooders. I haven't had a real use for the cardboard draft panels. I have used the feed coupon and I have the wire coupon yet. I would have used the one for the large feeder/water as well, but one of my cats made sure I didn't get that one.

Back
Top Bottom