tube feeding

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I wanted to get a head start by giving her some (mixed with water of course)through a needless syringe, but I need to know the right tube. One tube is directly in the center of her mouth, the other one is on her right side.

Last edited:
I've done hand feedings, I've never stuck a tube down the throat. I just squirt in their mouth & I've never had any aspirate any liquid.

I did recently post on a vet's website regarding this, and part of his reply was: "Take a piece of aquarium air hose and fix this to the front of the syringe. Now you can fully fill the bird's crop without the worry of aspirating the bird. Just put the tube all the way down the back of hte bird's throat and fill the crop until it is well expanded..."

sorry to hear you've got a sick one; best of luck!

Thanks Wynette! I just put some in her mouth and she did pretty well swallowing it, so I hope she gets better. I will try more later. I put some in the water this morning, but I havent seen her drink at all.

That's the biggest trouble with the water soluble stuff, "knowing" that they are getting enough of it. I'm currently treating a cockerel with water soluble antibiotic, but it's really hot/humid here, so I'm not too worried that he'll drink enough.

With the pullet I mentioned, she was feeling so poorly that she stopped eating and drinking alltogether; doc suggested making a slurry of her feed, the antibiotic water, and electrolytes/vitamins, and feeding it via syringe or tube. I did the syringe feedings 3-4 times a day; it took her about 5 days before she'd eat on her own, but she's now eating well. And, the time it took to do the syringe feedings was actually somewhat therapeutic for me, because I felt like I wasn't doing enough for her, so that extra time with her in my lap made me feel more like I was, as crazy as that might sound.

Hope yours does okay; please keep us posted!! Healing vibes coming your way!
smile.png

Thanks I just cant lose her. She is pooping straight blood! It just came up overnight. Ive only had her 3 days. I wonder how long it will take to work on her.

Yeah I like being able to put her in my lap and 'help', I just am so scared of her aspirating. I may go get some electrolites too for her. I think I will do that in a bit.

STRAIGHT BLOOD? Oh, goodness. How old is she? Is she eating/drinking? Yes, I think vitamins/electrolytes will be good.

I will get some. Shes actualy a pullet. 6months? maybe. She is Freddy's replacement for the hen he lost a few weeks back. I just cannot lose her. She just must have been stressed from the move. And then in different circumstances she got sick. I have never seen anything come up so fast.

Last edited:
Any other symptoms? Coughing, sneezing? Runny nose? Watery/bubbly eyes? Walking okay? What about feed changes...? Man, I'm so sorry!

She is laying in the sun and Freddy is standing over her.

She was outside for a little while the other day dust bathing. Do you think she could have eaten a bad plant?

Her feed has been start and grow with a little sunflower seeds mixed in. That is what they were feeding her where I got her from.

I only took her outside that one day.

She has good color and no other symptoms.

How long do you think it would take before I see a difference. With the sulmet and the electrolytes.?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom