Turkey help

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
I posted on the turkey board but apparently nobody over there likes to help new people.
So, yesterday I got 4 aprox. 1 week old poults. I didn't notice until after we got home that they had crustiness around their eyes when I got them, it isn't overly noticeable.
3 of the 4 have it. They've not eaten since yesterday as they are terrified of their new home and freak when we try to touch them. I've dipped their beaks a few times, but they haven't voluntarily gotten a drink.
I have some chickens I could put them with, however I don't want to put some possibly sickly poults with healthy chicks.
Is the watery/crusty eyes something to be concerned about?
I will post pics of their droppings if one finally decides to eat and make some poo.
Here's a crusty eyes poult.

And a healthier one.

The four of them

I don't know anything about Turkeys. However, I think if it was me I would keep them separate . It would be real important to get them to eat. Sometimes some chick-feed mush is tasty. I would probably think about an antibiotic like Tylan, or something for respiratory. Can't think of anything else.

I really hope that someone answers your question, because I am about to add turkeys to my little farm and I want to get as much info ahead of time as possible.
hu.gif

In your post in original thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/668806/new-to-turkeys-4-new-poults-pics-added , you said:

Dingo wrote Today after a month of searching I finally got some turkey poults. They were advertised as "Bronze."
After we got home I checked them over a bit more carefully, 3 have crusty around their eyes. I can't be sure that it wasn't just due to poor housing, I met the man at TSC. The crustiness isn't severe or overly noticeable(otherwise I would have seen it and refused them). I believe they may have been under a hen as they've spent the last 4 hours basically motionless. I dont want to put them with my younger chickens until I'm sure the crustiness isn't communicable. Otherwise their eyes are clear and vents and nares seem to be good.
So what can cause watery/crusty eyes in turkeys and is it a risk to healthy chicken chicks?

Did you observe the "housing"? Describe poor (for example - area smelled like ammonia, Lesser Meal Beetles scampering through bedding/feed, etc.). Definitely keep them separated for a month. To get them to eat: try bringing in some moths (tear one wing off) or get some meal worms and sprinkle on feed. If you keep handling them, gently, with a moth in the other hand to feed them, they'll eventually calm down. Is the regular feed a `game bird starter - 28%-30% protein? I'd also add poultry vitamins to the water or use Polyvisol Enfamil without iron (three drops a day for a week), just in case. If the housing was `poor' I'd compensate for other likely inadequacies. Place marbles or other shiny, `unswallowable' items in waterer and continue dipping their beaks until you are sure they are drinking.

If the `crustiness' around eyes develops into swelling or starts weeping fluid then post those shots up. For the time being keep them quarantined and just focus on the eating and drinking.

Good luck!

In your post in original thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/668806/new-to-turkeys-4-new-poults-pics-added , you said:
Quote: As it says in the original I met him at TSC, I don't know how he kept them, I was just saying it could have been filthy for all I know.
I feed all my birds flock raiser, it is lower protein (20%) but with added insects(I raise mealworms, and worms) I dont see why these poults wont do as well as my quail do on the feed.
I have added some electrolytes to the water, I've also tried giving them a tiny bit of nutrical for a calorie boost. One is starting to hang it's head and refuses to stand, I'm expecting it to be dead in the morning.

I brought in 3 moths, I think the poults are just as afraid of the moths as they are of me. I also gave them a bowl lined with tinfoil and a little bit of feed with some mealworms inside. And I put some iridescent glass globs in the water.

I brought in 3 moths, I think the poults are just as afraid of the moths as they are of me. I also gave them a bowl lined with tinfoil and a little bit of feed with some mealworms inside. And I put some iridescent glass globs in the water.

You should see my sister around a moth or even a butterfly. She acts just like a girl....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom