Turning the stinky dirt in the run.

I haven't added anything since the run hadn't needed it yet. I was just practicing searching the BYC site and this thread popped up :). Getting great ideas though! And I have a bag full of lime if needed

It's summer up there, isn't it? You should be right. I'm sitting here in winter and it's been rainy, but if it's dry, it shouldn't go slimy or horrible on you. I'd just spread it and rake it in a bit.

Have you considered adding lime? That' s what i used to add. It is amazing!
I would be careful about adding too much lime to the coup and run. Lime is a caustic and having that on their feet all day can cause chemical burns if you mess up and add too much. When we lime horse fields we do it right before a rain if possible and don't let the animals back on it until it has rained on it and dried back out to keep it off of the horses skin and out of their mouths, I would assume the same would hold true for chickens since they scratch and peck around on the ground

Last edited:
There are different types of lime, you need to get the right stuff. Just garden lime, dolomite. NOT ordinary lime.
http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/lime-different-kinds/
There's a thread on the forum about using lime in the chook run which explains the difference.

EDIT: Found it https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-safe-to-use-lime-in-the-chicken-coop.47639/
Ok - I'm doing a lot of learning here :). Is there a way to save articles oN BYC site for easier reference?

Ok - I'm doing a lot of learning here :). Is there a way to save articles oN BYC site for easier reference?
You can bookmark them in your browser, otherwise I usually find things again by searching either within the forum, or from an external search engine.

I keep a word document to copy and paste notes and links and such.
There is a bookmarking function at the bottom of each post, not sure how it works tho.

The PDZ is better used in a poop board under the roosts in the coop.
You won't need either lime nor PDZ if you keep a good mix dry plant materials in the run.

Back
Top Bottom