CosmosEclipse

Chirping
Mar 31, 2024
South Africa
I'll be doing a hatch-along with twelve eggs!

I might as well tell you guys about the eggs!

x3 Easter eggers with a grassy green colouration and a cyan hue.
x6 Silkie bantams. (Most likely white in colouration, as the mother was a white silkie.)
x3 unknown eggs, that are possibly Australorps.

If you have any tips, name ideas, items I should buy before/after the hatch, or other things, please do say!

Also, what should I do with unwanted roosters? I don't want to kill them.

Last edited:
Have fun with it...
You could have everyone that picks an egg for your hatch-a-long name them ? You'll need a boy and girl name for each one.
Number your eggs so everyone can pick one.
Do you have a brooder, heat lamp, feeder and waterer? Chick starter?
Is your incubator calibrated with an external thermometer and hygrometer and accurate?
Unwanted boys you can post for sale here to re-home, post them in your State thread for locals or Craigslist, Facebook groups.

Others will surely chime in...good luck with your hatch. 🙂

Edited to add for FYI... Culling doesn't mean 'killing' it just means removing from your flock... (selling, re-homing, harvesting for meat etc...)
Just so you know when you see culling in a thread you don't think everyone's killing they're birds here. 😉
My culls from my breeding program I'm going to sell as POL (Point of Lay) pullets and re-home or sell my cockerels.

Last edited:
ah, why thank you! They're all fresh (from five days ago max), and I'm wondering how long I can wait? For all the other stuff, I've got everything except an incubator, which will arrive tomorrow.

Thank you for all the help!

ah, why thank you! They're all fresh (from five days ago max), and I'm wondering how long I can wait? For all the other stuff, I've got everything except an incubator, which will arrive tomorrow.

Thank you for all the help!
Collecting eggs for 2 weeks is usually the general recommend but I've heard longer that have hatched. After 2 weeks you start losing fertility (diminishes).

Fire up your incubator, get it stable at least a day, calibrate it, and then set your eggs all at once. And then wait... 🤣

yippee! Do you have an average of how many tend to survive through their first few weeks of life? Out of twelve I mean.
Collecting eggs for 2 weeks is usually the general recommend but I've heard longer that have hatched. After 2 weeks you start losing fertility (diminishes).

Fire up your incubator, get it stable at least a day, calibrate it, and then set your eggs all at once. And then wait... 🤣

Back
Top Bottom