twilight attack--neck wound

deepbluesea

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 14, 2014
coastal NC
I got home from work just at dusk and something had bitten my sweet Fifi on the neck. She's got a 1.5" wound on the top of her neck. It's pretty much stopped bleeding, but she's pretty out of it--probably shock as well.
I've washed the wound and put loose gauze over it.I got her to drink a small amount of water with nutridrench and she's in a towel-lined dog crate in my bathroom. I can't think of anything else to do. What else is there? I'm not feeling that hopeful but at least she's warm and quiet.

Chickens are survivors! I use pecknomore (or another wound lotion) and sprinkle baking powder (not sode) on it, I’m sure corn starch would probably work too. It helps form a makeshift scab. I’m sure with what you’ve done she will recover.

We had a neighborhood dog that kept visiting and we had several hurt chickens.

I hope she feels better.

Chickens are survivors! I use pecknomore (or another wound lotion) and sprinkle baking powder (not sode) on it, I’m sure corn starch would probably work too. It helps form a makeshift scab. I’m sure with what you’ve done she will recover.

We had a neighborhood dog that kept visiting and we had several hurt chickens.

I hope she feels better.
Thank you! She made it through the night and has moved around a bit. I have a poultry wound spray from TSC but it sounds as though the vermectin (sp) will be better. Fingers crossed. Here she is in better times.
fifi chilling.jpg

PS and it wasn't necessarily twilight-that was just when I got home to find her. It was a Cooper's hawk. How do I know this? Because he/she almost got another one this morning. I scared her off and my crested legbar Talullah BOOKED into the hedge, so she might be ok. I had to actually run at it with the cover from my fire pit and a spare 2x4 I had. She tried to fly away with her but only made it a couple of feet, then the next swing got close and she dropped her and went to the top of the swing. I got pretty close to her with the 2x4 and she finally took off. Adrenalin, sheesh.

I have a staff meeting so I'm at work but all I want to do is go home and keep watch. I moved a feeder and a waterer under the hedge.

I know they're just doing what birds of prey do, but NOT IN MY YARD. :mad:

How is she doing??
Hi! I was just thinking about asking you, as well!

I can't tell exactly. She made it through another night, she can move and flap and I can get her to drink if I hold the waterer up and dip her beak in it. On the negative side, she hasn't eaten anything, not even boiled egg or ground beef. And I'm not sure about pooping--I've only seen one in the dog run. The wound looks a little better, maybe.

Honey, the one attacked yesterday morning, was nowhere to be seen at coop time yesterday. I think I lost her, though the hedge is dense enough I haven't been able to find her.

Our neighbor'so bird once got attacked by a hawk. The hawk had picked the bird up by her shoulders and she had shallow puncture wounds on her shoulders and one on her back. The chicken fully recovered! I would suggest checking those areas when you find your missing bird. I would also keep the othersame cooped up for a few days to keep the Hawk away. Give your injured bird Apple cider vinegar in her water. Chickens love it, and it contains good vitamins and minerals they need.

Hi! I was just thinking about asking you, as well!

I can't tell exactly. She made it through another night, she can move and flap and I can get her to drink if I hold the waterer up and dip her beak in it. On the negative side, she hasn't eaten anything, not even boiled egg or ground beef. And I'm not sure about pooping--I've only seen one in the dog run. The wound looks a little better, maybe.

Honey, the one attacked yesterday morning, was nowhere to be seen at coop time yesterday. I think I lost her, though the hedge is dense enough I haven't been able to find her.

Mine seems to be doing ok, still taking it day by day. She wasn't too fond of eggs either. I bought a can of tuna and rinsed it off (to hopefully wash some salt away) and she loves that! I only give her a small amount because I don't know how good it is for her? I just know it has protein. I also bought some of those save-a-chick electrolyte packets and put in her water. Other than that I just keep spraying with vetericyn and applying antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever). I wonder if you could drop some food in her water to encourage drinking??

Back
Top Bottom