Twin chicks and "premature chick?" (help)

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
Hello all!
So i put 7 eggs under a broody hen and ended up with only 3 viable. 2 have already hatched and are healthy! the last egg had pipped and did nothing else for 25 hours so i decided to step in and create a "zipper" for it and left it for 3 hours and nothing happened. then i opened the egg myself and im glad i did because there was the one chick and then a 2 week old (guessing) embryo so it must have been a double yolk egg and then the one didnt survive past a certain time but the chick who has hatched did. this chick that has hatched is probably a little bit bigger then half the size of the other chicks and uis the same breed (Brown leghorn and ameraucana mix). i think what happened maybe was that the embryo took up to much room so the chick couldnt fully develop because of the embryo. that's just a guess though. Anyways, what should i do with this chick? its eyes havent opened and it cant hold up its head but it has squirmed around a little in the tote i have it in. it dose peep if its aggravated and sometimes it peeps when it hears the chicks near it. i was looking it over and it seems to look alright just very small but maybe thats just me. im worried about how it will eat/drink. it just got out of the egg about 5 hours or so ago so i know its tired. I’m currently keeping it in a tote with a heat lamp on as the hen that’s hatching the chicks is a new mom and I don’t want something to happen to the chick. The chick pipped on day 22 and i took it out on day day 23. any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some pictures of when i started to take more of the egg shell off, when it came out of the egg with embryo, the shell it hatched from and what it’s like now
7E4B96CC-14BA-4250-992D-D7A1C8D700FA.jpeg

1B139BDA-1176-47E1-8A53-FBD5D50476F2.jpeg

80BFF449-F7CA-4DC0-96BC-11F99F7427C3.jpeg

I’m this picture I circled the umbilical cord
06E41159-8379-4612-BFE7-572BFA76A6F6.jpeg

7BB84C75-7F1B-48D3-80D9-ADF2707F89B2.jpeg

A740E67C-E5BE-4ED2-B0B3-A41F44AF153C.jpeg

Last edited:
so its peeping and trying to walk around but has no balance so it just falls. eyes are still closed. its dried a little bit but not fully. How do i give it food and water?

alright so its opened it eyes but its still tired to it sleeps most of the time. i looked at its wing to sex it and its a girl! she's standing somewhat but she has very little balance. i've been giving her electrolyte and vitamin water through a medicine dropper but havent gotten her to eat yet. Everything going in the right direction but i think she has imprinted on me since shes separated from the mama hen so hopefully when shes better she'll be able to go with mama and get along.

shes taken a turn for the worse sadly. shes not moving at all if any and shes deadweight when i hold or pick her up. She no longer wants to drink so ive been forcing carefully. she has this poop thats like diarrhea and then white and creamy. i just made her a nutri-drench water mix and started her on that and i also have a vitamin and electrolyte mix that ill be using as well. Her eyes are shut again and she dosent open them even though they are fine. ive brought her inside with a het lamp to better manage temperature and to monitor her better. Getting really worried, please help

Hello all!
So i put 7 eggs under a broody hen and ended up with only 3 viable. 2 have already hatched and are healthy! the last egg had pipped and did nothing else for 25 hours so i decided to step in and create a "zipper" for it and left it for 3 hours and nothing happened. then i opened the egg myself and im glad i did because there was the one chick and then a 2 week old (guessing) embryo so it must have been a double yolk egg and then the one didnt survive past a certain time but the chick who has hatched did. this chick that has hatched is probably a little bit bigger then half the size of the other chicks and uis the same breed (Brown leghorn and ameraucana mix). i think what happened maybe was that the embryo took up to much room so the chick couldnt fully develop because of the embryo. that's just a guess though. Anyways, what should i do with this chick? its eyes havent opened and it cant hold up its head but it has squirmed around a little in the tote i have it in. it dose peep if its aggravated and sometimes it peeps when it hears the chicks near it. i was looking it over and it seems to look alright just very small but maybe thats just me. im worried about how it will eat/drink. it just got out of the egg about 5 hours or so ago so i know its tired. I’m currently keeping it in a tote with a heat lamp on as the hen that’s hatching the chicks is a new mom and I don’t want something to happen to the chick. The chick pipped on day 22 and i took it out on day day 23. any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some pictures of when i started to take more of the egg shell off, when it came out of the egg with embryo, the shell it hatched from and what it’s like nowView attachment 1848332
View attachment 1848333
View attachment 1848334

I’m this picture I circled the umbilical cord
View attachment 1848335
View attachment 1848336
View attachment 1848337
Can you remove the shavings and put down a towel instead do it can try to catch a grip with it's feet.

so its peeping and trying to walk around but has no balance so it just falls. eyes are still closed. its dried a little bit but not fully. How do i give it food and water?
It doesn't need food and water yet. Let it rest.

Back
Top Bottom