Two dead roosters...

HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
This has not been a good week. This weather has been down to below 0°F up to 65°F off and on these last two months. It's taken a toll on everyone, I even lost a goat.

I had a RIR/Silkie cross, he had a big attitude packed into a small body. I impulse bought him when I first began getting into chickens again several years ago, the lady didn't give me any info on him. My GUESS is he was around 7-8 years old, but I have no real way of knowing.
About three weeks ago, Lil Red suddenly became very sweet and loved to be petted and held, super unusual. He felt lightweight, but not skinny. He ate and drank like everyone else. They had been recently wormed.
He started slowing down, letting his tail sag and his eyes droop. I tried making a thread, but no one responded. So I just kept him hydrated, fed, and warm. A few days ago, I walked out to the coop and found him upside down in a nesting box, dead. No injuries. I was heartbroken, as anyone is when they lose a precious pet.

Yesterday, I free ranged all my chickens. I bought a new rooster probably a month ago, a huge Splash Orphington I was going to breed. He was MASSIVE, only a year old.
I needed to clean one of my coops, so I let my rooster flock out as well. I kept a close eye on everyone, and I spotted my Favorelle make a bee-line for my Splash. I ran over there right as my Favorelle gave a low-blow that knocked my Splash off his feet, but he got back up. I separated them and kept the Favorelle away from anyone else. Last night the Splash refused to roost, instead he tried to get in the identical nesting box Lil Red died in. The hole was too small so he just shoved his head inside. I put him up with my Ancona hens, but he jumped back down and tried to re-enter the small nesting box. I was concerned he would hurt himself, so I put him in a crate with my blind hen who happily enjoyed his company. He ate and drank in front of me, so I went to bed. This morning I walk in the coop, he's on his side, wings extended, dead. I noticed his comb looked a little purple. (Note, Lil Red's looked perfectly normal and red when he died)

What on Earth is happening? My roosters are my world and this is concerning me horribly.
My Favorelle rooster has NO toes and NO spurs. There was no external damage to the Splash, I looked him all over. But could the kick have done internal damage? Just by one kick?
I'm willing to answer any questions you have, I want to get to the bottom of this.

The problem with bringing in adult birds is they can bring in stuff your current birds have no immunity to, and the new birds can catch stuff from your flock that they aren't immune to. My guess is both your roosters succumb to something the other was carrying. Stress can make things worse. New homes, and new roosters are all stressful to birds.

The problem with bringing in adult birds is they can bring in stuff your current birds have no immunity to, and the new birds can catch stuff from your flock that they aren't immune to. My guess is both your roosters succumb to something the other was carrying. Stress can make things worse. New homes, and new roosters are all stressful to birds.
Dang it, I wormed and treated for mites, guess I didn't think about other things. Is there something I can do to boost the immune systems of my other chickens? I'll be going to a small town TSC tomorrow

Keeping stressors low goes a long way to a healthy flock. Lots of room, fresh air, good quality feed, and fresh water are the main things. Roosters can stress a flock if there are too many, so stocking rates and ratios, are also things to consider.

I don't add anything to keep mine healthy. Any diseases will run their course and your birds will become immune or succumb.

I personally never bring in anything but day old chicks or hatching eggs. Anything older is always a potential disease introducer.

Keeping stressors low goes a long way to a healthy flock. Lots of room, fresh air, good quality feed, and fresh water are the main things. Roosters can stress a flock if there are too many, so stocking rates and ratios, are also things to consider.

I don't add anything to keep mine healthy. Any diseases will run their course and your birds will become immune or succumb.

I personally never bring in anything but day old chicks or hatching eggs. Anything older is always a potential disease introducer.
I can do that, thank you so much. I feel like an idiot, I guess I'm impatient waiting for a cockerel to mature and my flock paid for it. I won't do it again

I learned the hard way too about bringing in older birds. Don't beat yourself up about it.
I let all the chickens out today and bought them those treat balls they kick around to drop feed. Hopefully it'll be a good stress reliever. I also bought Nutri-Drench, my local TSC doesn't sell it. I brought out my Pet-Gazebos too and threw some roosters in there to make sure everyone gets a break. :)

Back
Top Bottom