Two Girls and a Boy

FHF ChickenMom

Chirping
Jul 24, 2017
South Wales, NY
Hi All, uh, I'm not sure what options I have with this situation. I am brand new to this and don't want to be dealing with chicks just yet. However, the three have been raised together and I don't want to separate him out if I don't have to. Question....um, not knowing for sure if an egg is fertilized or even if I'm sure it has, can refrigerating them stop any development?

Fertilized eggs won't even start developing unless they are incubated for 24-48 hours either in an incubator or under a broody hen... simply collect the eggs every day and you can store them in your fridge or on your counter and they won't develop... they are perfectly fine for eating, no worries...

Fertilized eggs won't even start developing unless they are incubated for 24-48 hours either in an incubator or under a broody hen... simply collect the eggs every day and you can store them in your fridge or on your counter and they won't develop... they are perfectly fine for eating, no worries...
Thank you thank you thank you! This has been weighing on my mind quite a bit. Now Tiberius can stay with his girls :)

Welcome to BYC!

It's easy to keep fertilized eggs from developing into chicks, as noted.
But the fertilizing itself can be chaotic.

The male will reach sexual maturity(~4mo) before the females(~6mo).
He will want to mate and they will not, he may be aggressive about it.
It can be alarming to the uninitiated...even to veterans.

Make sure you have lots of space so the girls can get away,
good to have a separate space to isolate troublesome birds,
like a randy young cockerel. Hoping your boy is one of the nice ones.

Best of cLuck!

T
Welcome to BYC!

It's easy to keep fertilized eggs from developing into chicks, as noted.
But the fertilizing itself can be chaotic.

The male will reach sexual maturity(~4mo) before the females(~6mo).
He will want to mate and they will not, he may be aggressive about it.
It can be alarming to the uninitiated...even to veterans.

Make sure you have lots of space so the girls can get away,
good to have a separate space to isolate troublesome birds,
like a randy young cockerel. Hoping your boy is one of the nice ones.

Best of cLuck!
Thanks so much for the welcome and the advice. They are in a 25' by 25' enclosure. If need be we'll run a fence line between them. I happen to have two brand new coops so there's plenty of housing. He (Tiberius) so far has a reputation of a cuddly sweetheart (good!) but we all know that can change when those hormones kick in!

Back
Top Bottom