Two Hatched Chicks Died - 15 hrs old

Dtoper

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2018
Hi there!

Brand new to the forum and first time egg Hatcher :) We have an incubator and the temp/humidity has been pretty consistent. Two Chicks hatched within an hour last night, and one additional pipped about ten hours before but no hatch. I wasn’t sure if pipped egg would hatch so left overnight w new chicks and it oozed yellow/clear ltl blood liquid underneath it. Chicks had been walking around in incubator for about 15 hrs and all of a sudden both were laying on there backs flopping around. Clearly looked like they were dying and breathing slow and slowe so I took them out and held them. Both died within 10 mins of each other. Any ideas why something like this would happen? I’m so upset about it bc they were doing so well and no idea why all of a sudden they both ended up like that?! Temps and humidity in the incubator held steady. My only thought was whether or not they could have eaten some of the goo that came out of the egg that never hatched?! Just crazy to me they both died so close in timeframe.

Thank you SO much!!

Danielle

Bacteria infection, maybe?
Newly hatched chicks are very susceptible to infection.
Oozing is a bad sign.

I agree with Cyprus, you mentioned that they were left in the incubator for more than a day since 10+15=25, does the incubator have enough air ventilation?

Yeah the pipped but no hatch egg oozed overnight. Chicks were in incubator 15 hrs or less from when they hatched out of the eggs. As far as I know has good ventilation.

Ty so much, just found it so odd bc they both seemed so healthy this morning. Ugh.

Yeah the pipped but no hatch egg oozed overnight. Chicks were in incubator 15 hrs or less from when they hatched out of the eggs. As far as I know has good ventilation.

Ty so much, just found it so odd bc they both seemed so healthy this morning. Ugh.
It happens.
I lost 5, 3-day-old chicks in 2 hours. And they were EXPENSIVE.

Incubators are the perfect environment for growing bacteria. Even a few cells can rapidly multiply in a span of hours, which can be lethal.

That is why I move chicks as soon as they are dry.

Man, sry to hear that. Lesson learned for sure; I’ll get them out of there as soon as they’re dry going forward. Thx again!

I do not trust leaving already hatched chicks to the elements of 100 degrees and 70% humidity! With mine, after about 30 minutes or so with the first chick, I scooped him up out of the incubator and put him in an already warm brooder box with an incandescent light kept at probably around 88-90 degrees..... you don't have to keep temps soo high after they are born, that will just drain them of any energy and life they have left after doing the laborious task of breaking out of it's shell! I also offer water and food within an hour or 2.

Back
Top Bottom