Two Male Muscovy Attack Ducks

Peter B.

Hatching
Nov 22, 2017
Hello.... new member here,

In short: my wife and I live on a county island and someone in the neighborhood had been legally, but unethically keeping muscovy ducks for food. Ducks were swarming over the neighborhood, with some being born in our yard last spring. Two of these ducks, we kept, as they were abandoned by the mother after they hatched.

Our predicament is this: they are sweet boys, well-fed, and well-kept, but they have begun exhibiting their "boy duck" behavior. The ducks attack my wife much more than me, and one of the ducks attacks more than the other. That said, the attacks are pretty painful, frequent, and now wethinks the ducks might need another home; although we are quite fond of the lads and want to make this work.

We need to know about the behavior. We need to know if this is what to expect from the lads. Perhaps, they need females around and this isn't a good place for them; we just don't know. The ducks have full range of a backyard with some backyard birds and an occasional squirrel or cat as visitors, along with myself, my wife, and our poodle. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.....

Welcome to BYC, sorry for the circumstances. It's all about the hormones. The 'boys' are reaching sexual maturity - think back to your teen age years - Young drakes have been known to try to breed cinder blocks, stumps, plastic water bottles or anything else that will hold still for them. They need access to some lady ducks.

If the duck is trying to climb on top of something and hold on with its beak, that's mating behavior, even with a lot of flapping and shouting involved. Duck mating is chaotic. Look it up on Youtube to get an idea of how to tell the difference.

Welcome to BYC, sorry for the circumstances. It's all about the hormones. The 'boys' are reaching sexual maturity - think back to your teen age years - Young drakes have been known to try to breed cinder blocks, stumps, plastic water bottles or anything else that will hold still for them. They need access to some lady ducks.
My wife and I don't know what this really entails: our ducks being a little overly aggressive a couple times a year or...... get used to it because they're like this all year round. Sounds to me like they need females, and we'd be okay with that because my wife and I want what's best for these two gentlemen.

If the duck is trying to climb on top of something and hold on with its beak, that's mating behavior, even with a lot of flapping and shouting involved. Duck mating is chaotic. Look it up on Youtube to get an idea of how to tell the difference.
That is exactly what they do. One is a little more violent and painful than the other.

Back
Top Bottom