Two month olds eating each others feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckcluck42, Aug 11, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I have 12 two month olds in a large outdoor coop. It is definitely big enough for all of them, they have lots of room to get away from each other and explore. I just noticed this today and now one of them has feathers missing from its neck. I witnessed them walking up to each other and just plucking feathers and munching.

I have never dealt with this in my flock before, I just bought these birds. What can I do?? Even my meat birds never plucked each other! [​IMG]

Oh we ran out of grower a few days ago and were feeding laying mash until this afternoon. Could a change in feed mess them up?? The extra calcium? *shrug*

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Feed them some protein.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Feathers are almost purely protein. They're making up for what's lacking in their diet. Layer feed is not suitable for growing birds.

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Thanks for the input. It has literally been less than three days on the mash, it can effect them that fast? :O They're already on the grower again so I guess it will just remedy themselves. I will go scramble them some eggs just to make sure they get their protein. Sorry babies, mommy ran out of money. [​IMG]

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    you might want to try Flock raiser, it has 20%, protein

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If I don't get enough protein at breakfast I feel it and am craving some by mid-morning. And that's just one meal. [​IMG] Three days is more than enough time for them to start feeling the effects of the diet change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by