Two month olds eating each others feathers?

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
I have 12 two month olds in a large outdoor coop. It is definitely big enough for all of them, they have lots of room to get away from each other and explore. I just noticed this today and now one of them has feathers missing from its neck. I witnessed them walking up to each other and just plucking feathers and munching.

I have never dealt with this in my flock before, I just bought these birds. What can I do?? Even my meat birds never plucked each other!
he.gif

Oh we ran out of grower a few days ago and were feeding laying mash until this afternoon. Could a change in feed mess them up?? The extra calcium? *shrug*

Feathers are almost purely protein. They're making up for what's lacking in their diet. Layer feed is not suitable for growing birds.

Thanks for the input. It has literally been less than three days on the mash, it can effect them that fast? :O They're already on the grower again so I guess it will just remedy themselves. I will go scramble them some eggs just to make sure they get their protein. Sorry babies, mommy ran out of money.
hmm.png

If I don't get enough protein at breakfast I feel it and am craving some by mid-morning. And that's just one meal.
wink.png
Three days is more than enough time for them to start feeling the effects of the diet change.

Back
Top Bottom