Two of my chickens have never laid an egg. Why?

Castaway

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
California
It's been thirty weeks and still no eggs from two of my chickens. One is a Partridge cochin and the other a BO. With much shorter days now I expect I won't be getting any eggs from them until next spring. Maybe. Is this unusual? Why do some chickens take so long to start laying?

Quote:
Do they free range? I bet they are hiding them from you if they do get to free range.
wink.png

Henry,

Yes, my chickens free range. I'm fairly certain there are no hidden eggs.

Mahonri,

You sure know how to cheer a fella up.
hit.gif

sonew,

I hope 40 weeks does the trick. I hate to replace them but if they don't start laying by next spring I'm going to revoke their citizenship rights.
barnie.gif

I have a group of heritage RIR that are 36 weeks old and have not begun laying. I am impatient to say the least. I think it has to be quite soon, their combs and wattles are bright red.

I think yours will lay soon. The Cochins for sure are later and I had a buff orp that took her good time as well

Quote:
Thanks greathorse. I needed to hear that. I'm getting two eggs a day from my other two but it sure would be nice to have 4 per day.

Last year I had a couple hens start laying in December. They were 30-35 weeks old.

Imp- there's always hope.

The larger heritage breeds will take longer to lay. Also if they are not feed 18% or better protien that will slow them down too and alot. Out of my flock of 22 pullets I have 10 laying for sure. I have always fed 20% protien based on advise from those breeding heritage stock. My chickens are like 30 weeks now but started laying at 20weeks . Just remember if you layer is less than 20% and you are feeding other stuff like scratch that will bring protien down even futher. So cut out extras and add some extra protien too see if that helps. many use cat food as a booster if they can not find a 20% feed. I know Purina Flock raiser is 20% so is worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom