Tylan 50, SubQ or IM??

Nicole95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I need opinions on whether to give a *three week old* chick tylan 50 via a subcutaneous or intramuscular injection. I've heard that you can give it either way but that IM is preferred and recommended. However, with her being only three weeks old, I'm a little apprehensive to go for an IM into the breast. SubQ in the back of the neck seems much safer.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Nicole95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Also, is she even too young to get the med altogether? I'm suspecting pneumonia. I was planning on giving 1/8 to 1/4 cc

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
I think that if you're going to give it, you should do it based on their weight (mg/kg). I'll get you some dosing info. When I get off this iPad and on the computer.

In the meantime, get yourself a a digital kitchen scale (see avatar) and weigh them.

Last edited:

Nicole95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I went with 1/8 of a cc. Her symptoms aren't awful right now and I didn't want to give too much. She aspirated yesterday and was gasping and shaking her head for about an hour or two.

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
I went with 1/8 of a cc. Her symptoms aren't awful right now and I didn't want to give too much. She aspirated yesterday and was gasping and shaking her head for about an hour or two.

When you say 1/8, do you mean .125ml(cc)? Just curious....

Last edited:

Michael Apple

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Northern California
I used the Tylan soluble powder once with a respiratory problem some chicks were having. It cleared up the problem with no recurrence. 1/8 cc should be pretty easy to dose orally though. I have these tapered, curved syringes that work well. I use them on weak chicks to orally dose a drop of Poultry Nutri-Drench. That huge clumsy dropper Bovidr labs sells with the 4 oz bottle doesn't cut it for chicks.

Nicole95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
.125ml is what I meant :) thankfully I work at a hospital and injections (including measurements) are no problem for me. How much to give a three week old chick on the other hand was something new :) she handled the injection well and seems to be doing fine, just kind of laying low. Thanks for the input, both of you!

Nicole95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I have been giving her vitamin drops with a needle less syringe but yesterday she seemed to aspirate slightly. Hence me trying to get ahead of the pneumonia. I know its important to get the drops back into her throat to prevent aspiration but I've yet to find a syringe to make that even remotely easy. I also think maybe thickening the vitamins with some mash may have helped but for now I'm avoiding trying to force feed anymore drops. I added the vitamins to her water and all six chicks can have some.

Top Bottom