Tylan 50, SubQ or IM??

Nicole95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I need opinions on whether to give a *three week old* chick tylan 50 via a subcutaneous or intramuscular injection. I've heard that you can give it either way but that IM is preferred and recommended. However, with her being only three weeks old, I'm a little apprehensive to go for an IM into the breast. SubQ in the back of the neck seems much safer.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Also, is she even too young to get the med altogether? I'm suspecting pneumonia. I was planning on giving 1/8 to 1/4 cc

I think that if you're going to give it, you should do it based on their weight (mg/kg). I'll get you some dosing info. When I get off this iPad and on the computer.

In the meantime, get yourself a a digital kitchen scale (see avatar) and weigh them.

Last edited:
I went with 1/8 of a cc. Her symptoms aren't awful right now and I didn't want to give too much. She aspirated yesterday and was gasping and shaking her head for about an hour or two.

I went with 1/8 of a cc. Her symptoms aren't awful right now and I didn't want to give too much. She aspirated yesterday and was gasping and shaking her head for about an hour or two.

When you say 1/8, do you mean .125ml(cc)? Just curious....

Last edited:
I used the Tylan soluble powder once with a respiratory problem some chicks were having. It cleared up the problem with no recurrence. 1/8 cc should be pretty easy to dose orally though. I have these tapered, curved syringes that work well. I use them on weak chicks to orally dose a drop of Poultry Nutri-Drench. That huge clumsy dropper Bovidr labs sells with the 4 oz bottle doesn't cut it for chicks.

.125ml is what I meant :) thankfully I work at a hospital and injections (including measurements) are no problem for me. How much to give a three week old chick on the other hand was something new :) she handled the injection well and seems to be doing fine, just kind of laying low. Thanks for the input, both of you!

I have been giving her vitamin drops with a needle less syringe but yesterday she seemed to aspirate slightly. Hence me trying to get ahead of the pneumonia. I know its important to get the drops back into her throat to prevent aspiration but I've yet to find a syringe to make that even remotely easy. I also think maybe thickening the vitamins with some mash may have helped but for now I'm avoiding trying to force feed anymore drops. I added the vitamins to her water and all six chicks can have some.

Back
Top Bottom