I don't have any chicks right now, when I do they will be on starter til they are old enough. As for my roos (I have 5, not all together), they are all eating the layer, some for a year, I've had no problems. Where did you read that? Do you have the link? I want to read up on it.

A flock feed or chick feed for him. No layer food for him because the calcium is too high.
Mine get food with 18-20% protein. And I up the % when molting.

Forever. It’s fine to feed chick feed. It’s layer that you don’t want to feed Roos. Most of my older birds get a all flock, any pen with small chicks get chick food. It’s absolutely fine. :D

I can't find the link but some say it don't matter while some say it does. It's somewhere in here but just can't find it.

Thanks, I'll research it
I can't cite it either, but have read much.
Some say they have no problem, others have had birds die from kidney failure.
I figure they don't need it, why feed it<shrugs>
....and I find it simpler to use a higher protein all flock type feed and give calcium to layers via a separate container of oyster shell and crushed chicken egg shell.
Chicks, non laying females, and molting hens don't need 3-4% calcium either.

2x aart Since changing over (few years ago) to Flock Raiser (fermenting) & Oyster Shells on the side, I find the shells are alot stronger. It makes more sense hens need the energy (protein) cause it takes alot to form/lay that egg.

Would those on higher protein feed have less laying issues than those on layer? May start a poll if I can figure out how to word it :hmm

Nope, don't know if you've ever watched the process but even my fuzziest butted hens seem to manage their end of things just fine. It is always the rooster, the combo of excess fuzz and unavoidable lack grace there causes problems. Come springtime my fella will be sporting the tonsure and making the neighbors blush.;)
:lau What about the girls don’t they get trimmed too?

Back
Top Bottom